Thready success and a kick in the teeth :)

tattoo_maker

Headed down to Bretts Wharf Monday night with my nephew chasing the elusive thready once again.

Conditions were perfect, we got there an hour before low tide to a windless fantastic Queensland winters night, wasn't much bait around besides small prawns, with only two big prawns and two small Herring for all my cast net work.

We pulled in a couple of catfish and had a few runs without hookups and battled the citykats for a while.

Then a few mins after the tide changed luke got hit on his little rod with his small live prawn, I tell him to loosen his drag a bit and he'd no sooner done it when he gets his first blistering run, lucky timing as he was loaded up with 12lb mono and had that drag wound in real tight, Ryan Young style ;)

Then my rod got hit and we were playing double hookup for about half a minute well I pulled in a catty, fastest dehook and release I've ever done as I wanted that thing out of the way so I could watch junior fight his fish.

After a fight of about ten minutes we had him in the net, a Thready, just over 90cm, I was to happy with the fact that he caught it to even be pissed of that I still haven't caught one :)

Young Luke was happy as hell with the best fish he's ever caught, especially when I told him I've been trying to get one for months.

Sadly for the fish we kept it as it had swallowed the hook and the time it took to convince my nephew that it wouldn't bite him while we took a photo didn't do it a lot of good, I wasn't feeling to bad last night at dinner, damn tasty fish.

We fished on for another hour and a half or so for a few more catties and a fat bream of 26cm that went back in the river.

luke_edit.jpg

Sorry about the bad pic, forgot my camera and had to use my iphone

ryanyoung wrote:

Ha ha, cool fish, I have certainly learnt my lesson about tightening drag during a run :). I am going out to the boat passage again in a day or so, to see if I can improve my rookie ways! ;)

Lol......I'm still quite the rookie myself but I had that happen years ago and as you now know, it's not a mistake you make twice.

hey well done chris, glad to see the long hours paid their dividends, you've done the time at that spot for sure

pity it was your nephews rod hahaha

dont feel too bad, at 90cm it'll still be a male, while i try not to keep any of them 90cm is a good size if you do want to keep one, any bigger and theres a good chance its a female

Nice fish! Fished a few times a Breakfast Creek mouth and best result is a 1.5 kg juvenile Jew so far (caught on a tiny no.6 hook with a tiny piece of steak). I was amazed! I'm new here - is Brett's Wharf entirely fishable? Are there any restricted areas? Any jetties jutting out?

...and is it best to fish for Threadies with a weighted or unweighted line?

Archived