getin ready for flathead season

straddiebrad

Bri The Pom wrote:

I also have been getting a few lures ready for the flatties, I only troll with them, not much confidence in casting them, but I said that about soft plastics 12 months ago.

Hardcore the pig lure is the one on the right with the 4 spots and get them from dougie burts.. Flattie_Lures.jpg

All four on the left mate ;)

ryanyoung wrote:

This might sound like a dumb question, but do you cast and retrieve hb's the same as you do sp's? Have never really tried hb's!

you can troll them or cast and retrive.

but dont really retreive like sp (but you ca if you want), you can either retreive them fast or slow, stop start or little jerks now and then.

It varies depending on you target fish, the depth of the water and the amount of snaggs around.

I usually just use a slow steady retreive, but do stop starts and little jerks and runs to get the fishes attention somtimes.

There are also many types of HB lure Deep/shallow, large for big fish, small for bream, floating lures, suspending lures, rattling lures, lures with a wide action, lure with a narrow action.

endless... but for the basics I use a slow retreive with a few jerks now and then.

cheers

fishing_hardcore wrote:

ryanyoung wrote:
This might sound like a dumb question, but do you cast and retrieve hb's the same as you do sp's? Have never really tried hb's!

you can troll them or cast and retrive.

but dont really retreive like sp (but you ca if you want), you can either retreive them fast or slow, stop start or little jerks now and then.

It varies depending on you target fish, the depth of the water and the amount of snaggs around.

I usually just use a slow steady retreive, but do stop starts and little jerks and runs to get the fishes attention somtimes.

There are also many types of HB lure Deep/shallow, large for big fish, small for bream, floating lures, suspending lures, rattling lures, lures with a wide action, lure with a narrow action.

endless... but for the basics I use a slow retreive with a few jerks now and then.

cheers

Thanks mate, might give them a go soonish.

Ben Derecki wrote:

I know it's a bit off topic as far as the forum category goes but what length / weight rods are you guys using over there when you're targeting lizards?

Some of the monsters you get over there are three times the size anything we get here on the west coast. Lucky buggers.

Well my Lemax Black Rose landed my PB :P

Angus

Bri The Pom wrote:

I also have been getting a few lures ready for the flatties, I only troll with them, not much confidence in casting them, but I said that about soft plastics 12 months ago.

Hardcore the pig lure is the one on the right with the 4 spots and get them from dougie burts.. Flattie_Lures.jpg

oh that mini micro mullet is a killer !!! i have hooked some great flatties on them !!!

Went to your work today to see if you could hook me up with some tackle for flatties and the poo chute... Shoulda known that you don't work weekends. You're a smart man. Young luke hooked me up with some pumpkin seed and white and pink SP's plus jigheads. I also took one of the Mojiko vibes and a couple of other Mojiko HB's.

Pity you weren't there to meet.

Never mind, I'll catch up with you one day..

Archived