Orange spots on Estuary cod

fishing_hardcore

I have noticed that cod caught in the Brisbane river have not only brown/black spots, but they also have bright orange spots that are very visible.

When I see cod pictured in magazines caught away from the bay river area (up north), they do not seem to have the orange spots.

Is this a regional thing or species trait, or maybe a marking on juveniles only?

thanks

A lot of estuary cod have those spots. Some people call them gold spot cod but I have it on good authority they are exactly the same fish with a slight variation.

It does seem strange and interesting that when you catch more than one cod they seem to have the same pattern. For example at Jacobs well nearly every cod I have caught or seen caught has the black spots, where as the brisbane river its the same for the gold spot cod.

I wonder if this is due to a tight gene pool and a family/strain that doesnt move around a lot. The major flaw in the theory however is that cod DO move as the larger specimens while sometimes remaining in smaller systems usually end up on the reef.

Angus

Angus wrote:

A lot of estuary cod have those spots. Some people call them gold spot cod but I have it on good authority they are exactly the same fish with a slight variation.

It does seem strange and interesting that when you catch more than one cod they seem to have the same pattern. For example at Jacobs well nearly every cod I have caught or seen caught has the black spots, where as the brisbane river its the same for the gold spot cod.

I wonder if this is due to a tight gene pool and a family/strain that doesnt move around a lot. The major flaw in the theory however is that cod DO move as the larger specimens while sometimes remaining in smaller systems usually end up on the reef.

Angus

That's a really interesting theory Angus and haven't heard that one before. I always took Grant's as a kind of bible, which always said gold spot and black spot estuary cod are two different fish. But I suppose if you took the scientists out of it, your regional theory makes perfect sense. I've always thought the same of sweetlip and the varieties and places they are caught. All the cod I've seen caught in the Brissy river are gold spot, as well as all the cod over 80cm seem to be goldies too. But all the cod I've caught at Mud Island are black spot(I think :unsure:). The only thing is that on at least two seperate occasions(one in Kauri Creek and another in Hinchinbrook), I've caught black spot and gold spot cod in the space of 100metres. I'm going to pay attention more from now on about what cods being caught where.

Angus is correct in what he said and that is that an estuary cod is also known as a orange (gold)spot cod.

gold spot and black spot cod are two differant fish.similar yet defferant. the two fishes have differant scientific names. I too have also caught gold and black spot cod together from the one spot.

thats a ripper of a cod from indro joel.

mick fillet wrote:

Angus is correct in what he said and that is that an estuary cod is also known as a orange (gold)spot cod.

gold spot and black spot cod are two differant fish.similar yet defferant. the two fishes have differant scientific names. I too have also caught gold and black spot cod together from the one spot.

thats a ripper of a cod from indro joel.

Cool. Happy to stand corrected.

Well its good to see we have both cod species well up river then :)

Angus

Archived