Brisbane River

Marty78

Hey I was just curious to know if anyone eats the fish they catch out of the Brisbane river?

This site is great I just signed up last night but you guys and girls have caught some really great looking fish.

Looking forward to throwing a line in soon so I can post a catch up here to.

Thinking about heading to cabbage tree creek at sandgate.

i eat flathead squire and cod, but dont like keeping big fish so i avoid threadies and jew, anything over a metre i'll try and release.

would love a jew if i could catch one within the size i want, around 80-90cm or so. mostly either too big or too small so far, the couple i've caught in the middle of this range i released lol

dont really like the taste of bream

the older a fish and the higher it is on the food chain the more heavy metals and pollutants it will accumulate. in the same way if you were to eat fish all the time from the river it could possibly be a real contaminant concern. i highly doubt that you could be in any serious health trouble from eating a meal of fish from the river (in fact commercial prawn trawlers operate frequently) but if you were to make a habit of it toxins could build up in your system and cause any number of problems.

30 odd years ago when i lived next to brekky crk the battery factory at newstead used to dump its crap into the creek - never ate many fish outta the creek. but they've always commerically trawled prawns and fished crabs outta the river for the general public....

so you prolly already do eat catches outta the river.

i don't know if the researchers have ever tagged estuary fish - bream whiting flathead - to see how far they roam. but my guess is they don't stay around one spot for ever. so the bream you'd catch in the river one day might've been hanging around sandgate the week before, on a seasonal basis that is. personally wouldn't eat to much out of the river after a fresh tho'

Archived