Fresh Hol's - Where to now.

Brian D

I was taking the wifie to Glenlyon for some quiet R&R with some fishing thrown in, but found out the Cabins are not suitable for her. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a nice compfy cabin with fish at the back door and a pub near by? Going to br there ANZAC day so a bit of country 2up would be fun.

Baroon Pocket?

I have stayed up there a few times.

I have never stayed at the ones on the lake though, they look pretty dam nice.

There is also a couple of great pubs with a good selection of Ale taps.

If you jump on and search B&B's Montville/Maleny there are stacks.

The ones actually on the lake are called \"Secrets on the Lake\".

Pending aggreeing with the budget, she would love them. Not just ensuited, but alo Spa's over looking the lake :)

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/03/13 13:02

monduran dam, mother bear took me and troy there once, u can stay in these cabins that have the maddest views over the lake where u are sure to get lucky, mite even catch a fish :P, if she wants something more than that u can stay in these nice as queenslander homes which are also overlooking the dam, boatramp is about 100 m's away. dam is stocked with barra and bass. id love 2 be able 2 get there again, bit of a mission tho.

hehe yea like cowfish said, its absoloutly huge, thats where me n troy went wrong, we had no boat, so i ended up tying the handlines to my undies n swimming all over the dam, got daked a few times :blush: then nearly died of exauhtion, but all i really got was a few catfish. i think if u stik with the larger lures u wont get the catties. fish with livies and u will get tonnes of catties. if u end up goin there, there is a dead forest in the water, apparently thats the spot to be. me and troy stayed in one of the houses, it was so nice, plenty of room to let the kids run wild (your kids).

Oztrav wrote:

I was looking in a gold coast newspaper and seen photos of this place called couran cove it looked mint with a balcony that was right on the water like balcony floor 10cms then balcony i would definately like to go their one day

Thanks OZ - been there - it's OK - good for family - great if you got your own boat. I kinda wanted fresh water cause wifie enjoys the skinny dipping.:)

Keep the suggestion coming please.

Angus wrote:

Baroon Pocket?

I have stayed up there a few times.

I have never stayed at the ones on the lake though, they look pretty dam nice.

There is also a couple of great pubs with a good selection of Ale taps.

The ones actually on the lake are called \"Secrets on the Lake\".

Angus<br><br>Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/03/13 13:02

How good is the English Pub - man he just keeps the pints coming.

Secerets was nice but the pub was better!:cheer:

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/03/13 17:25

Sommerset - we went there for a look the week between Lenthalls and Borumba - too many skiers and no cabins -

Every time I tent it, it rains for most the time.

Come to think of it every time I fish with Angus, Terry H or Aaron H from the site it rains too.:woohoo:

Keep em coming please.

omg... couran cove is one of the nicest places ive stayed at, we stayed in one of the units over the water and i fished nearly 24/7, they really frown upon that since its an eco tourism place, they mite have even baned fishing there now, but far out did i catch alot of good fish there, and that was bak in the day when i knew little about fishing. id love to go bak there now n try out my new found knowledge.

haha wot about wivenhoe, some aaaawesome fishing there :P :silly:

Brian, if you go Monduran, take the GPS they reckon it is real easy to get lost there, a lot like lenthalls, but nearly 30k long, hard to work out the way home!

The other option is Lenthalls, stay in MAryborough instead, only a few more k's.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/13 19:05

Brian D wrote:

Sommerset - we went there for a look the week between Lenthalls and Borumba - too many skiers and no cabins -

Every time I tent it, it rains for most the time.

Come to think of it every time I fish with Angus, Terry H or Aaron H from the site it rains too.:woohoo:

Keep em coming please.

Hey brian maybe u should move up to sommerset and live in a tent then the dams will fill up due to all the rain that would fall:P or maybe the north pine, heard today that its down to 16% scarry stuff

Copeton dam may be a goer really good facilities when we stayed there years ago had everything there. You would have to check local conditions as water level is around 15% last time I heard.

Ray

Located approx 30km South West of Inverell is Copeton Dam also called Copeton Waters.

Copeton Waters is almost three times the size of Sydney Harbour when full. The dam was built across the Gwydir River in 1976 and its primary use is for irrigation water storage. When water is being released, the lake levels can drop dramatically which has the effect of putting fish off the bite.

Fishing

Copeton Dam is renown as a top Murray Cod, Golden Perch, Silver Perch, Redfin & Eel-Tailed Catfish fishery with possibly a remnant trout from past stockings. Rainbow Trout are still taken in Gwydir River downstream of Copeton Dam.

Upstream of the lake is some pristine gorge country that holds the odd Cod & Yellowbelly. It is rugged country being more suited to goats (which there are alot in the area) than to people but can be rewarding at times for those that are keen & fit enought to traverse the boulders and cliffs. The river below the Dam holds some trout & is also a popular white water rafting location during water releases.

Stocked fish: Murray Cod, Golden Perch and Silver Perch.

Boating

There are no boating restrictions on Copeton Dam. A no boating zone exists around the dam wall.

There are several boat launching areas around the lake. The best depends upon the water level at any given time.

The main recreation area, Copeton Waters State Park, is located on the southern side of the lake. The park covers 939 hectares where campers can enjoy a free form style of camping. There are hot showers and amenities blocks (disabled facilities) scattered throughout the park. A kiosk and laundry are also within the park and there are 76 powered camping/caravan sites. Cabins, on-site vans, fuel sales and boats are also available for hire. Other facilities include BBQ, six hole golf course, tennis courts, adventure playgrounds, power boating, sailing, windsurfing and two waterslides.

elanda point is a nice spot. has cabins and u can hire canoes etc and canoe across lake cootharaba and up the noosa river to the everglades. there's a site that i went to when i booked a cabin up there its www.elanda.com.au and ive heard from some reliable sources that there are plenty of bass in the everglades. i know people who have camped at harry's hut and caught lots of bass. hope this helps

cheers, troy

Write up on clarrie hall.

Ray

BUILT on Doon Doon Creek, a trubutary of the Tweed River, Clarrie Hall Dam has a storage capacity of 16,000 mega-litres of water, is the major off-river water storage facility for Tweed Shire and is capable of supporting the water needs for a population of some 160,000 people.

Construction of the dam commenced in 1974 and was completed in 1982. The current cost of construction is estimated to be about $34 million, and annual maintenance costs about $100000.

Activities permitted on Clarrie Hall Dam include canoeing, boating (electric motor, sail or paddle power only) and fishing. The Dam is stocked with Australian Bass and an annual fishing competition is organised and run by the Australian Bass Association.

Clarrie Hall Dam also supports several significant bird species, including the vulnerable comb-crested jacana (Irediparra gallinacea) and the endangered black-necked stork (Ephippiorhynchus asiaticus).

The Recreation Area is perfect for photography, bird watching, nature observation, environmental studies, picnicking and bush walking. Swimming in the dam is not permitted nor is the use of boats with petrol or diesel power. To protect water quality, only electric motors, sailboats and canoes are allowed on the dam.

Facilities include electric and wood barbecues (wood supplied), shelter sheds, picnic tables and chairs, toilets and a children’s playground. There are access points near the dam wall and at Crams Farm. The Dam is open during daylight hours only.

A NSW Fishing licence is required to fish here.

Water Quality link

Wow guys thanks for all suggestions, if only I could Karma you all.;)

Where is Copeton Dam?

Now don't kill me but after showing the wifie some photos of Glenlyon she says it looks so nice she can put up with the outside dunnies, so it's back to the origional plan.

Oh yeah and tls :P to somerset

Couran Cove is expensive, but so nice. When we went, I had practically no knowledge and we still got 10 or so flatties, big whiting, big bream. All of these were of the deck off our cabin. But no matter what the cost, it is so worth it for anyone considering going (unless they've banned fishing) but there are other things to such as mini golf, big sport centre, kayaking, the list goes on.

Copeton dam is 30 k outside Inverell which is 450k from Brisbane via Tenterfield and Glen Innes about 5 hours drive.

We used to leave on Anzac day to go down to that area every autumn to see the autumn leaves and see the Celtic Festival which is in Glen Innes early May every year.

Ray

Archived