filleting sharks

rayke1938

Caught a couple of bullys at kookaburra Park so thought I would post a couple of photos of how I fillet them.

First I head and tail them as soon as they are caught. I then place them into a bucket of water to bleed out and them place in esky.

Using a sharp knife I then remove fillet from each side.

I then remove the anal fin.

I then use my skinning knife to cut through the flesh at the tail end down to the skin and slide the skinning knife up to the head end.

The last photo shows the fillet and the removed skin side by side.

I will ask feral to post the photos and then will describe each photo.

Ray

Looks like we will have to wait for photos as feral isnt on line.

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/03/20 19:42

Photo 1 is first fillet off.

Photo 2 is second fillet off.

Photo 3 is lost somewhere but it showed skin off fillet. My knives.

The yellow handled one is my barra filleting knife . It is a swibo with a 12 inch blade.

The wooden handled knife is a ham or a salmon knife that is designed for cutting thin slices of meat. It also has around a 12 inch blade and is very flexible and is adeal for skinning fish.

Ray

Ray

I'm curious did you cut off the thin bit of fillet in the stomach area? From the look of pic 2 I think it is still present in the top fillet whereas in the bottom fillet in the same pic im not sure (knife in the way doesn't help). I generally cut off the stomach meat myself as it looks pretty thinB)

I also find I tend to struggle with the skinning effort but my knife choice probably doesn't help. I generally cut each fillet in two (so I have two short pieces) and I seem to fair a lot better. I also run a cut up along the top and bottom of each fillet before skinning as the meat/skin curls up at the edge of the fillet and makes it tricky to skin. The extra cuts flattens out the skin and makes it much easier. I also find with the fillet I go from the tail up, it seems more managable then head down.

Anyhow thats what seems to work for me:) Good idea for a post though Ray as a few ppl have asked about it;)

The second fillet in the top photo is the backbone feral has the photos in wrong sequence. I keep one fillet for myself to eat and on that one i remove the belly flap. I give the other fillet to my italian neighbour and leave the belly flap on it . They soak it in soy sauce and eat it raw. YUK and CHUCK.

Ray

heres an easy way to cook them and i reckon it about the best way ........

turn your oven on flat knackers and let it heat up for 5 mins

grab a baking tray ,put a film of oil on it ,,put your fillets on and then rub oil ,salt, and cracked pepper ,,,,,,,and a squeeze of lemon

bung it in the oven for 15 min (20 if the fillets are thick)

and thats it

• 2 weeks later...

mack attack did you actually try cooking and eating em though?? The little bullies are top tucker and after they are cooked there is no longer any hint of the amonia smell. An old timer told me you should soak em in milk to get teh amonia out, but I have tried it with and tried with out and there was absolutely no difference in taste: they were delicious!B)

• 4 months later...

Archived