Warning inflatable life jackets

alex1

Hi guys and girls,

there's been a bit of debate recently on inflatable life jackets on other forums and I am only bringing this up because I recently heard that a boatie was pulled up by water police and was fined because he didn't have proof of his inflatable being serviced.

This is a very grey topic because supposedly some manufacturers recomend that you have you pfd serviced every 12 months and others every 2 years.

The best way to make sure you are legal is

1 : have your purchase receipt if your pfd is less than 12 months old

2 : have a service receipt if you've had it serviced

3 : have a spare cheap block type pfd for every person on board even if you prefer wearing an inflatable all the time.

4 : if your inflatable is more than 12 months old, just wear the block when crossing bars.

I'll try to find out if there's any way that we as boaters can service the pfd ourselves.

[ just a case of removing the air cannister, inflating the pfd by mouthpiece and checking for leaks and checking for corrosion on firing pin and air cannister]

alex

i don't think it matters if you have the old block type life jackets on board a boat, if you have inflatables as well, and no proof of a service it is deemed as insufficient, or expired safety gear, an example. if i was to be pulled over in the logan river, even up a creek, the point is i'm nowhere near the ocean, offshore, and they see i have an old epirb, along with the new type. i still get fined, simply because it's out of date equipment.yes even though it is no longer monitored, i still get fined. probably best to buy some good quality jackets, as i'm guessing around the same price as inflatables, without all the BS.

robbo.

on another note, mail has it your fire extinguisher now has to be serviced and proof of some sort needed too, turning into a bloody joke this is. i heard every 12 months your extinguisher is to be serviced, and yes ppl have already been fined for not complying. revenue raising, wait till they come across me, i'll tell em what needs servicing alright.

avagoodone

I totally agree that it sucks to get a fine for something you had no idea that needed to be checked, but this has had a positive effect by getting us to get our safety equipment checked and kept up to date. You never know when u may need it and it may save your life, one of your family or mates lives.

It might be a pain in the ass to get the pfd serviced regularly, but by design they are comfortable to wear all day and the benefit is that if it goes all pear shaped, then you pull the chord and presto, while your mate is searching frantically for his, buried under the anchor rope and then trying to put it on while drowning. I wear mine offshore on the kayak all day no problem. I will never go back to any other type.

noname wrote:

i don't think it matters if you have the old block type life jackets on board a boat, if you have inflatables as well, and no proof of a service it is deemed as insufficient, or expired safety gear, an example. if i was to be pulled over in the logan river, even up a creek, the point is i'm nowhere near the ocean, offshore, and they see i have an old epirb, along with the new type. i still get fined, simply because it's out of date equipment.yes even though it is no longer monitored, i still get fined. probably best to buy some good quality jackets, as i'm guessing around the same price as inflatables, without all the BS.

robbo.

on another note, mail has it your fire extinguisher now has to be serviced and proof of some sort needed too, turning into a bloody joke this is. i heard every 12 months your extinguisher is to be serviced, and yes ppl have already been fined for not complying. revenue raising, wait till they come across me, i'll tell em what needs servicing alright.

avagoodone

I dont believe this is correct Rob. if you have enough safey gear in date that is required for all occupants of the vessel then you are fine. even if you have old gear out of date onboard is insignificant. As long as there is enough of the correct equipment for all vessel occupants. This is relative partifularily to life jackets as its not mandatory to wear them in particular.

Ive been pulled over and had in date flares onboard and packet of out of date flares as well. the officer said. it was a good idea to keep the older 1's in the boat for fter your set off your ood ones.

Richard

that was ok for a lil while but how times have changed

it's now in date or else $$$. i still carry old flares and if they want to fine me thats fine, but they can't get blood out of a stone. the flares come under some explosives act, apparently. the life jackets come under some safety act, as for the rest, it's for the end of year xmas party and **** them as far as i'm concerned. simple is best.

it was only after all these fools started venturing out crossing bars with the intent of going fishing in small boats, with inexperienced skippers behind the wheel, and thought she'll be right, that all these new life jacket regulations came in, and i have to agree with them, if you have safety equipment.

1. know how to use it.

2. know what it requires to upkeep.

3.and when it is to be used.

how many ppl have actually sent out a pan, pan, pan, call, or for that matter what it is????? if you don't you shouldn't be on the bloody water.

Bit hard when you dont have a radio! and if you dont have a radio, there is no need to know it.

Problem is with the radio's they treat it as secret squirrel business, dont publish it anywhere. They should have stickers with the mayday, Pan Pan and securitae calls on them to put next to the radios. Reckon you will learn it when you get your licence. Pity if its you who are immanent danger and your deckie without the licence and training has to get on the blower!

For those who dont know, the Yanks are not so secret squirrel -

http://www.examiner.com/x-28410-Los-Angeles-Boating-Examiner~y2009m12d11-Pan-Pan-Pan-Securite-and-Mayday--What-they-are-and-what-they-mean-to-boaters?cid=channel-rss-Recreation

As long as you have the required number of compliant life jackets for the people on board it doesn't matter if the rest of your boat is filled with non-compliant ones. The wives tale that says otherwise is just a myth that perpetuates on forums etc.

Sometime within the last 6 months the boss of MSQ was interviewed on Nugget's weekend morning show with these specific issues being the pupose of the public interview. He clearly stated what I have said above. He also said the same was the case with flares, but I wouldn't fill anyone's boat with them :ohmy: :woohoo: :laugh:

I'm unsure whether the podcast is still on his site since the format changed to being less user-friendly, but it's worth hearing if anyone can be bothered linking it (if it's still there)

I spoke with Tommy at police implimentation and support Maritine Safety Branch this morning.

As long as there are enough compliant life jackets aboard for all occupants then it doesnt matter if you have other jackets that are non compliant aboard as well.

With regards to flares there does seem to be some confusion and people have been fines for out of date flares even if there is in date flares on board. However when contested these fines have been withdrawn.

In the legislation fisheries water police, and who ever else have no powers under the explosives act. is was in fact suggested to me that having old flares aboard as a back up was a good idea.

Richard.

Archived