need some help picking a reel

72jake

i bought an 8-10kg ugly stick rod mid week ..and matched it with a 4500 shimano baitrunner , guess it depends what types of fishing you want to do etc. Got heaps of tips from people on this forum , i wanna get into live baiting more and figured the baitrunner would do the trick

ok , are you fishing from a boat?

are you fishing with mates around the place or goin into the bay?

are you goin offshore?

you plan on chasin reef fish, or anything that happens to come along?

where are you fishing, brizzy or up the coast, as yes it does make a huge difference.?

fishing deep, like 60 mtrs plus?

you said 5/10 kilo???

will you be holding onto the rod and reel all day, or just placing it in a rod holder?

as an allrounder, i'd be lookin at a gary howard 6/8 kilo rod, with maybe a daiwa oceano, they only do 1 size. this will be very light in weight and with stopping power for a lot of fish in the bay as well as outside, spool it up with 30 / 40 lb braid and your away, but only you can answer the question, budget will obviously be out the door here, but hey, your not payin. LMAO :lol:

wait until you get the rod and then match the reel to it. For me, rod and reels for bait and quite different to rods and reels for plastics.

For plastics, you definitely want light and very responsive. The rod will be an IM6 or IM7 graphite, very light. The reel to match then also has to be light.

For bait, I like the baitrunner reels and these are relatively heavy. There is no way you want to throw plastics from these reels. You can do it, but it is hard work and you won't do it for too long. Because the reels are heavyish, you want a relatively heavy rod to balance. Ugly stik is a good choice for the 4500 baitrunner.

Of course you can still fish baits from your SP outfit and plastics from your baitrunner outfit, but you need to think about what you will be doing most of to make the best decision.

Archived