Logan river Bull Sharks

tattoo_maker

So today I was thinking of heading up to Kookaburra park to chase my first Bully, but had a bit of a rethink and thought I'd try a bit closer to home and hit the Logan river instead.

Now even though I live in Kingston I generally drive into Brissy and fish Bretts Wharf, I'm a creature of habit you might say, and that little bit of extra travelling payed of because I eventually got the Threadie I was chasing since the beginning of the year about a month ago and have learned a lot by fishing mostly the same location, I beleive there are many variable when fishing and trying to work out what you are doing right......or wrong is a bit easier if you fish the same spots.

So I decided to try the Logan, checked out google maps and found myself a pontoon grabbed the rods and cast net and set off in the Pathhy to see what could be seen.

There was a young guy packing his bike as I arrived and he told me he does ok there, but not today as he'd fished for 5 hours or so for a donut.

I started throwing the cast net around and all I could find were two lonely herring, I chucked one on and sent him out, bait was in the water less than 10 minutes and I was on, it wasn't a really powerful fish but there was a lot of shaking going on at the business end of the line and then...........nothing......60lb leader was busted of just above the hook.

Decided to set up my heavier rod with a wire trace and get the bigger of the Herrings out, that bait was also taken quite fast but I failed to set the hook and found myself back to bait chasing.

There wasn't a lot, a couple of young guys offered me some mullet so on it went, some time passed with the occasional tap at the bait while I was cast netting about looking for a livey, the only thing I could get in the net was a tiny catty so I hooked him up and threw it out deep, settled into my folding chair and played the waiting game.

I was rewarded with my first Bully, who unfortunatelly swam right at me putting up very little fight and ending his day in my landing net shortly before the leader busted, I'd only put a wire trace on the heavier rod with the catty on it.

So the catty was still sitting out there, there had been a bit of movement at the end of the rod and after a while I decided to bring it in for a look, this resulted in a 3 way tangle with the oung guys gishing next to me, 10 mins later....seconds after solving the fishing equivelent of the rubiks cube, that little catty got hit hard, now during the untangling I'd rested the rod against my shoulder and for some reason I'd put the braid over my head resting on the back of my neck.

When that bait got hit it nearlly took my ears off (note to self......be more careful when untangling things!) After a few seconds I got my sh!t together and was fighting something big, then again.....no weight, I reeled it in to find the wire clip at the end of the trace was straightend and the hook gone.......another not to self......buy some better quality wire traces....or make my own.

Anyway, was a good session, first time fishing the Logan and first time targetting Bully's and I got what I was after :)

A lot has changed in the last 9 months since I started fishing again, thanks to all those that have given me tips and to everyone that posts on AFO.

This is a pic of the little guy, isn't he cute :)photo.jpg

Cheers guys

Russian........was in the day, must've been around 3 or 4, a little bit after high tide.

Nadders........yeah I think you'd told me that but I'mhammered the hell out of Bretts, and even though I get good results therre a change of scenery is long overdue, gonna start fishing the Logan and Coomera for a bit.

Ellicat.......a guy I know tried to tattoo id numbers on Dolphins at request of the Dolfinarium there, the ink didn't stick, but I'd give it a go on a Bully if you hold it's head ;)

smithey......the pontoon at the boat ramp next to the M1

Good effort with catching a bully.

Making your own traces is simple, any good tackle shop can help with gear. To reduce the chance of tackle failure, I crimp the trace to my rear hook, so that their teeth don't open/bend/break the clip that comes on ready made traces.

Archived