Somerset May 12, 2007

Brian D

After a near miss we have decided to organize a day trip to Lake Somerset 12th May 2007. I expect to be leaving around 2.30am to be there for a dawn launch. It’ll be a little cold so I don’t expect that we will miss any action until the sun hits the water. :ohmy:

So far we have attending:

Brian and 1 or 2 deckies

Feral, Ferg and deckie

Ray, Graham and John in the Hydro

Lozzel and deckie 1(wife) plus space for another deckie

Aaron (maybe as a captain or as deckie)

Jeff and Oztrav TBC

Bud as deckie (sort out which boat soon)

Bud's dad with boat maybe TBC

Terry H (Maybe)

There are heaps of spots left so if you want to come just put your name down. If you have towing and skipper experience and would like to be a captain for a day just drop me a line to sort details.

I expect we will be ordering shrimp – if we can’t catch em – so stay tuned with Ray on this one. ;)

I also expect either BBQ or a chicken and roll snack attack so get ready to bring your own munchies.:)

If you want to bring your yak and wetsuit we can arrange to tow you to the structure and tow you back to the ramp. B)

I think maybe $5 per head for the site would be a fair thing. It should be a great day, where we get heaps of great shots for the site, so don’t be shy posing for the camera. I won’t be.:P

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/03/27 19:35

one sip is good for two people boating permit is per boat i think a good idea is to be in the same boat as the person you share sip with about $7 for a week or $35

for the year Ill leave the missus behind on this one and jeff has already offered me a spot but if he cant make make it would like to chase bass with you brian

also get your permits day before as most place arent going to be open for a boat launch

Brian what ramp

Post edited by: Oztrav, at: 2007/03/26 20:47

Yeah for the SIP, (easy enough to get on line), but there is a second boating permit required for Somerset,

http://svc132.wic006v.server-web.com/files/pdf/BoatingPermits.pdf

I think it is per boat, $15 by the look of it.

It appears you might be able to organise over the phone (see PDF linked above) , or the Fernvale store from 5am (which does not help me, as I will be coming from the north!).

I would love to come along if I am welcome. I could be a deckie or me and my old man could bring a boat. Probably prefer the deckie situation as my old mans boat is really only suited for two and then I won't get to meet anyone. Let me know. Cheers

Bud wrote:

I would love to come along if I am welcome. I could be a deckie or me and my old man could bring a boat. Probably prefer the deckie situation as my old mans boat is really only suited for two and then I won't get to meet anyone. Let me know. Cheers

Got you Bud - How about we put you in another boat so you don't have to look at your dad and if your dad wants to come with his boat he maybe able to take someone else or just be deckie.

I will probably taking the hydro but will also be bringing john ford so if anyone has some broken rods they want fixed bring them along and he can have a look and give you a quote.

If onyone wants a loan of my dam boat which is a 12 ft booker with 4hp 4 stroke yamaha they are welcome but theu will have to organise their own number plate as mine will be on other boat.

The seq water boating permits are $15 per boat and are valid for one week.

Ray

Yeah Terry I was serious - If I was a Yak driver I would luv to get amounst the timber. You can also take extra stuff and store onboard me craft - stuff like food, water, tackle and beer.

I wont use all your lures nor dink all your beer but your food better watch out.:laugh:

It would be great to see you yaks on the water as well.

Ok Had a yarn with Ray, Kirkleigh opens at 7am, to launch before that requires getting permission, and a pin number to open the gate.

Also they will sell me a boating permit at Kirkleigh when they open at 7am, so my plan of attack will be to arrive at Kirkleigh around 7am, pick up my permit, and launch then.

I have a problem - Wifie has just told me that the 12th May is my Granddaughters birthday and there is no way I am missing that - I would rather miss mothers day.:pinch:

So what do we do? It's not too late to change the date but I don't want to inconvience everyone. I also don't want to get too close to the Hinze trip.

I suggest the best option is stay with the current arrangements and tuff titties to me. The other option is push it out a week to 19 or 20 May.

Sorry to mess you around fellow fishers but family comes first. Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Pushing it a week to the next saturday is probably just as good for me, but Sunday will probably be family BBQ day! ( Sons birthday is 23rd), I already have another engagement the weekend of the 26th, (as does Ferg, its his other halfs birthday).

As in most of these, when it comes down to it, its just us stalwarts who end up going, I'd rather wait and go with you, otherwise its likely to end up me and Ferg on our lonesome!

Well after you saying that how about we push it out to July or August. I realy don't want to double up or hinder the Hinze trip.

It's a shame because there was such a good response.

So again sorry to stuff around the folks who said yeah -what's your thoughts everyone - Is July August OK?:)

i'm happy to go whenever is convenient to everyone else hell it's not like it's a marathon from ipswich. i'm going to hit it sometime in the next month or so on my rdo anyway just to check it out.

i'm quite happy to take 2 deckies in my boat just the second one will have to B.Y.O lifejacket as i only have two

Yeah when it comes to fishing I am very flexible. Just means that I will have to do some other sort of fishing that day and book another date in the diary..(I've forgotten the new date already) So I am still in. And a karma to you Brian for having your priorities right and putting family first;)

• 2 weeks later...

Saw in the Courier Mail on line this morning that SEQ water are planning a large release from Somerset into Wivanhoe to hide all the exposed sandbars that the TV stations keep showing.

This could drastically affect our plans for a trip. Have to keep an eye on it.

Archived