Removing seats

Aaron H

Anyone know whether this is worthwile, I have an older style tinny with the three bench seats, I would like to remove the middle one as it takes up valuable real estate for a tackle rat like me who likes to take everything he can. The only problem is it is riveted into the side of the boat (most inconvenient as will create holes in sides) and a few blokes at work reckon it will weaken the sides of the boat. Any advice on whether it is worth removing?

Ray took the middle seat out of his tinnie.

If its riveted in I hardly think it is going to be very structural. (It probably adds a bit of stiffness, but I wouldn't worry about it, you can always put it back if you get worried!) Just put some blind rivets back in the holes.

I havent thought about a deck will look into it thanks Brian, maybe i might find a nice cheap Quintrex traveller at the T&T show I can sneak home. I will just tell the missus I painted and out some stickers on the old one hmmmmm I wonder if that will work :laugh:

I have removed the centre seat out of my 12ft booker. The only minus is the loss of some bouyancy but as i have so many batteries in it it doesnt matter.

I have not noticed any loss of hull strength and the hull has not developed any cracks.

A lot of the earlier booker,quintrex and clark hulls came with the option of a removable centre seat and they did not have any additional ribs in the boats to compensate4 for the loss of the centre seat.

My seat that I removed was welded I just cut the seat with an angle grinder next to the welds and then ground down the welds.

It is a lot easier with a reveted seat as all you have to do is grind the heads off the rivets and punch them out and fill the holes with silicone.

Ray

Aaron H wrote:

I havent thought about a deck will look into it thanks Brian, maybe i might find a nice cheap Quintrex traveller at the T&T show I can sneak home. I will just tell the missus I painted and out some stickers on the old one hmmmmm I wonder if that will work :laugh:

Yeah seams easy what Ray says - but the deck would be easy too. Just put a bit of ply down and use some silione or stud adhesive to hold in place. If you like it make it permanent, if you don't like it take it out and rip the seat out. I don't think the weight will be a problem as I figure you will be putting down a floor anyway. Also the batteries will be down the back to keep the nose up.

Archived