another little bully and a thumbs down to k-mart

AlsHilux

g'day lads,

the sharking section has been a bit quiet recently so i thought i'd take a bit of a time out from doing my job to see what's going on?

have had a little bit of luck recently, upgraded my first bullie catch with a second, 80cm at 3.5kg.. a nice little fighter i might say, and i finally convinced my fishing buddy mick that there are in deed sharks at fig tree pocket. once again, did the old mrs macks batter up and had sunday fish and chips.. ripper!

Been catching the usual numbers of pike eels, but recently caught a different kind of eel which I've never got before. this one was spotted green/brownish and had no teeth (hopefully we'll get some pics up when mick sends them off his phone). Anyone have any idea what other types of eels we have in the river or want to take a punt at what this kind was?

..anyone know how to cook eel or if they're worth eating? I seem to see eel sushi a lot but i'm not sure what else you can do with them or if they're palatable at all.

Anyway, you guys still hooking into the bullies in the river? do you think it's starting to die down now that the cold is starting?

ohh. finally, i just wanted to add the obligatory whinge about getting snapped off the other night. had a fresh pack of 60pound traces, first and only decent hook up of the night and as soon as i picked up the rod, twang! she went slack. I wound it in to find that the brand new trace had come off at the swivel.. bit of a bummer. damn you k-mart.. getting my hopes up.

Post edited by: AlsHilux, at: 2007/03/30 18:51

Freshwater eels are good eating. Saltwater ones are crap. Meant to be great smoked but I haven't mastered the art yet. We as kids used to skin them and then cut them into cubes and cook them with butter, garlic, salt and pepper and hey presto. Give it a go but be aware that they tend to stink the house out while cooking. Keep the windows open.

I'm with Bud - freshwater eels smoked are considered a real delicacy in continental Europe. My uncle used to smoke them, the trick is to peel off the skin first from the tail end, cutting it off just behind the head and leaving the head attached. Hang in the smoker from the head, and leave for a long, low temperature smoke...the trick here is to get as much good smoke flavour through the flesh as possible. A good indicator of when you've got it right is that the flesh should be firm and almost the same colour (i.e. a smoked colour) all the way through. My uncle used to apply a mix of brown vinegar, brown sugar and salt liberally before smoking. When done, serve chilled with either a lime mayo or sweet chille mayo - yum!

Cliffy wrote:

I'm with Bud - freshwater eels smoked are considered a real delicacy in continental Europe. My uncle used to smoke them, the trick is to peel off the skin first from the tail end, cutting it off just behind the head and leaving the head attached. Hang in the smoker from the head, and leave for a long, low temperature smoke...the trick here is to get as much good smoke flavour through the flesh as possible. A good indicator of when you've got it right is that the flesh should be firm and almost the same colour (i.e. a smoked colour) all the way through. My uncle used to apply a mix of brown vinegar, brown sugar and salt liberally before smoking. When done, serve chilled with either a lime mayo or sweet chille mayo - yum!

Jeez sounds like your cat is spoilt rotten, all that for cat food! :blink:

Cowfish13 wrote:

That eel was probably a Freshwater eel. They get caught in the salt a few times and my brother has even caught a few at Oxely Creek.

freshwater eels actually travel to salt water once a year to breed, even if they have to cross dry land to do it

sounds like it was a Long-finned Eel that you caught. Short-finned Eels look very similar but don't have the blotches on them and their dorsal is much shorter. The other eel you are likely to encounter (most likely the other type you refer to) is the Pike Eel.

I just looked up eels in Grant's, he reckons the Longies can get up to 20 kg (not sure of length) and pikes to 2 m and 25 kg. Damn that is a lot of eel. I have never tried eating em.

With your traces yeah its a gamble buying premade traces. Often the crimping is done rather dodge. I have heavily used the heat weld wire (actually I have heat welded coated wire not marketed as such!) this season. I simply put four-five overhand knots, tightened em up nice (looks like a plait if done right), quickly melt it to lock it and they have never failed. I have my eye on some 150-200 pound wire that I want to use next season on the big boys and have bought a crimping tool to sort it out.

As far as the season slowing down? I definately think slow. Our run rate tapered off from about med feb and slowed a lot into march (although we were still getting a few) and we haven't tried lately. Its possible that you could catch em for a while yet if you have plenty of patience!

Archived