Mt Crosby - 20-01-10

mangler

Hit the river in the kayak yesterday morning early for a before work session. Seeing as a mate had just bought a kayak and his first lure fishing combo and lures, and was keen for a fish.

Launched just after sunup, and padled downstream into the fog covering the river, what a way to start the day!

I had my usual Brissy River luck, with heaps of mixed strikes on the surface lures, one fish even had three goes for no hookup on the pause! Within about 20 minutes my mate was first on, with a mid 20's fish off the surface, damn it, bring a mate here and get's his first Brissy River bass before I do...

A couple more missed strikes for my, then my mate threw his popper to near where I had a missed strike, he's on, to a fat little mid 30's specimen, damn it, two - nil...

A bit more of a paddle downstream, and finally I was on, my first ever Brisbane River bass, albeit a tiny little bugger, 2-1, I was catching up...

Next up my mate pulled in another mid 20's specimen off the surface, 3-1...

After the surface strikes were getting a bit quiet, I switched to some divers, after a solid hit I was on, to something that had a bit of weight to it, but couldn't pick it by the fight. The result was a 40cm Tilapia.. damn it, still 3-1...

On the way back up my mate then got his first bass on a diving lure, a low 30's fish, putting the count at 4-1 he was quite proud of what he had acheived!

Total for the morning. 4 bass of the surface, 1 on a deep diver,and a dirty tilapia.

All fish released except for the tilapia of course.

lilbass1.jpg

My first Brissy River bass...

Rocket - thanks mate, he was quite proud of himself!

Jack - around that general area, and the trick in my case is persistance, and in my mates case I'd say the trick is beginners luck!

werewolf - My mates were on a 45mm popper, mine was on a walk the dog style lure about 55mm long.

Archived