Tent Advise Wanted

blairv

Hi all,

We are looking at getting a 9 to 12 person dome tent for future camping expeditions.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

I am liking the looks of the Coleman 12C Dome Tent

The wife likes the OZtrail equivalent (Villa Elite)

Out of these two brands what is the best? And are there any other we should be looking at?

Thanks

Blair

You need a tent for 12 people or just looking for one that size? Coz if they advertise it as a 12 person tent, it should be ok for 5 or 6.

Both brands have good reputations. Both are also expensive (But worth it if your going to do a lot of camping).

Myself, I prefer normal tents, domes are a pain in the but to put up and take down.Swore I would never own another.

Mate just pushing those mongrel fibreglass rods through them, takes for ever, particulary pulling them down. Then in a good wind they break! Often putting a hole in the bit they run through. Then its a real pain to replace the broken bit. Although if you've bought a good one the later should be pretty rare.

i believe the coleman brand offer a lifetime warranty as do black wolf, but black wolf, limit their lifetime warranty to what they believe is a lifetime of the person to use the tent once a year, eg black wolf's warranty might last a year if used a lot in a 1 year period, coleman offer a lifetime warranty, which means lifetime i believe, or so i was told, and coleman def the better product,of the brands, coleman, oz trail, black wolf. with color coded pole sleeves etc, etc to make things that lil bit easier.

good quality dome tents are ok .

only had problem with real cheap ones snapping the poles .

never had a good quality one snap a pole .

neither has day my brother etc .

so u buy a good 1 and there good .

same with feeding the poles through .

good quality good ,cheap 1 a pain .

i don't know what brand rob's is but we used it at the pin .

i was impressed .

easy to set up ,good size area to sleep with little annex area.

handled the wind with no probs.

27092009005.jpg

I think this is an Oztrail. 10 minutes to erect. Maybe another 10 minutes of optional fiddling about and adjusting etc. Has the climate control thing which I picked as a bit of wankfactor, but it is surprisingly effective.

3 rooms, all sealed. We normally have 2 adults in one end and 2 kids in the other. The middle room gets used for a table to eat away from the insects and night games and also storage etc. Could easily sleep another 2 to 4 kids here. In fact there's plenty of room left in the bedrooms for extras.

Last time we used it was in the dust storms last year and the wind was pretty constant on the open flats for a few days. No dramas at all with the wind, but I did do some of the extra optional fiddling and used all the pegs when setting it up. The poles are pretty good.

On my 3 man coleman I did split a pole once, but it was a quick and easy fix I thought.

I'm a convert from the old canvas jobs. They no doubt have their benefits, but at 4 times the price they are hard to justify unless you're going to live in them for a month or more every year. The accessories need to be heavier duty too which is even more stress on the wallet, not to mention needing a backhoe to unload the suckers. :laugh:

One of the main disadvantages of a dome tent is that they give the bedroom measurement at ground level and with the curvature of the roof there is not the room for a camp stretcher.

They are very uncomfortable in strong winds as whilst they do not break with the flex in the poles they will lie down on top of you.

Cheers

Ray P9230034_AFO.jpg

Blair,

I might be thinking outside the tent, but would it be better to get 2 smaller tents to accomodate the same number of people. Kids in 1, adults in another etc :-).Also gives tne option of taking 1 when going away solo or as a couple.

I love my OZtrail dome tent and as Elli said the climate control thing works very well letting hot air escape out the top of the tent. I camp on the beach (read strong winds) and if you tie the tent down correctly and firm I have never had one fold up or bend over on me. Did have one pole connector thing come back flanged open when I lent the tent out, but it was a simple repair with extras supplied with tent.

Well with all the advise this morning headed out and brough a Coleman Montana 12 Dome Tent.

It's a big sucker but I having a look at Oztrail, Black Wolf and Coleman, I though the workmanship was better and liked the rubber floor as opposed to the normal weaved nylon type floors.

The poles were very good quality and colour coded and there is plenty of room - and the ventilation looks good too.

Also the price was great - about $250 off RRP.

We will see how it goes

Thanks for all the advise

Blair

• 2 months later...

I have a oztrail 8 man, and am about to upgrade to their next biggest.

I would suggest to have a look at their double dome 3 room one.

You have the strength of 2 domes on each end and the centre section can be used for luggage or a protected kitchen/living area in bad weather.

chubbstar wrote:

Hey I was just reading through this thread, as I am new to the tent thing also and I am wondering how the tent is going? Are you getting much use out of it etc?

I have been bitten hard by the camping bug (good thing is it will get me fishing again) B)

Good news on both fronts mate :woohoo:

You're welcome to borrow mine to give it a tryout. :)

Archived