Forward control to tiller conversion.

Bri The Pom

I have just been offered by a friend of a friend a Johnson 35hp late 70's engine for my 4.2 tinny.

He has just had a $ 500 service ??? and was offered an engine he couldnt refuse. He asking $150 for it.

It is electic start and forward controls.

Is it an easy to change to tiller steer or add a steering wheel to mine ie side console.

Is it wise to change to a pull start or keep electic start and upgrade battery.

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Bri.

In my biased opinion, electric start and a steering wheel is the way to go. You can always pull start it if you feel that way inclined. :P

The conversion would probably be too hard for me to tackle, but I'm sure there'll be plenty of members prepared to offer you a hand if you needed it. Although being a tradie you could probably do it yourself anyway. :)

A 35hp from the 70's will be the equivalent of about 28hp in todays terms. Old motors were measured at the flywheel, today it's at the prop.

$500 sounds pretty exy for a service on an old motor (usually simpler) :huh:

Ryan Young had a couple of old 25hp tiller steer that you may be able to canabalise the tiller arm etc off. He may have sold them. From memory the earlier omc s were fairly simple to convert only having to bolt on parts without changing base plate. If you have to change base plate its a bugga of a job as you will be undoing bolts that havent moved since the motor was built.

Ring around some of the wreckers they will be able to tell you if its feasabile.

Cheers

Ray

• 10 years later...