Language

ellicat

AFO has a swear filter. When you type an unacceptable word your post will end up with 4 asterisks ("****") in place of that word.

The swear filter lets you know that that language is not acceptable to the owners of the site. They want the site/forum to be acceptable to all-comers, young, old, middle-aged :blush: , women, boys, men, girls, mums, dads, wives etc etc.....I'm sure you get the idea.

There is an increasing trend of late for clever members to by-pass the language filter by doing such things as spelling the word incorrectly, using abbreviations, or replacing letters with other characters - e.g. &*%$# which is like a modern day equivalent of seeing Kapow ! Bam! etc on the 1960's batman series.

These methods of by-passing the language filter, whilst very clever, are not in the spirit of how the owners want the forum to appear to the general public.

So what happens when the filter is tricked is that I have to be the backup and edit posts accordingly. This makes me appear as a prude to the AFO community, which I don't really like as in real life I swear 1/2 as much as kriso....and if you hear anybody swearing continuously on a dark night whilst on the river it is almost 99% certain it will be kriso. However I don't see any great need for that language to be placed in the public domain as a poor reflection of AFO's standards. I'm sure Kevin Rudd didn't use his backroom language when he recently penned his Children's book.

So all you clever members, please refrain from

1. bad language; and

2. by-passing the filter

when posting in the forum.

:kiss:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived