Brisbane River Saturday Morning

Beejay

Hey Guys,

Made an effort this week, went down Tingalpa creek and got myself a small esky full of seafood smorgasboard...etc..whiting, mullet, silver biddies and some nice prawns all for bait in the river on Saturday Morning.

Woke at 4.30am and by the time I fart assed around with cofee and patted my dog, managed to get on the water by 6.00am at Colmslie boat ramp.

This was my first time on the river so all the spots I went to were all done by following a few boats up and down the river.

I went a fair way down towards the mouth from colmslie, I remembered the tug boat in Wesfish,s photo with that huge threadfin salmon, so got excited and stopped close to it for a fish.

Half hour later hadnt had a single bite so decided to move around a bit, im pretty sure the tide was low but cant be sure cos I didnt bother to check it before leaving, but most spots I fished were from 6 meters to 10 meters.

I seen a guy anchored close to an exposed rock wall flicking towards it so decided to try it myself, but had no luck there either, had 2 rods in baited up with prawns and mullet and was flicking a small white colored tsunami brand soft plastic lure while waiting for hits on the baited rods but no luck.

I stayed down around this area of the river until about 8.30am then decided to head back up the river and try some other spots.

I seen a big cement facotry setup on my right, so headed over closer to the stucture thinking I might have a fish there but I seen signs warning about no boats and decided that because there were no ther boats around, I better just fish to the left or right of it instead of out the front, just in case some big mother ship turned up or something....lol

I anchored up to the left of the cement factory, in 4 meters of water casting into about 12 meters of water.

Same thing again, used fresh baits on 2 rods and a plastic on the other, half hour later no bites, no runs and no fish :angry:

From here I went on a nice drive all the way down to Bulimba dodging and weaving all the moored boats in the river, there were plenty of people rowing boats and a i seen a couple of stupid yakkers get in the path of a medium sized ship and what grabbed my attention was that he sounded his horn at them and I seen one of them go left and the other go right, so im guessing the captain of the ship wouldnt have been able to see them at this stage.

I drove past both of them a couple of minutes later and just shook my head at them.

Anyway, when I was down at Bulimba, I anchored up and out went the baits and the plastics for another half hour of no bites and no anything.

I headed down towards Norman Creek, did the same thing again but got no bites, no runs once again :S

From here it was about 9.30am maybe 9.45, so decided to head back towards Colmslie and fished out the front of the timber Wharfs close to the boat ramp for about another hour, used the same again, baits and jigging a plastic but came up empty handed. :S

Came back into the ramp at about 11.00am so 5 hours of fishing for exactly nil bites was I guess what most of you guys call the donut? :P

Either way, I still enjoyed being out on the river, it was refreshing to know I have a resource as huge as this so close to my back door and all I have to do is drop my tinny in to use it.. :)

I must admit though, ive never been fishing for this length of time and not got at least one bite ;)

the weather wasnt really bad, just really dark skies that looked ominous so maybe this had something to do with it, as well as the tides, im pretty sure I was fishing the bottom of the tide and roughly the first 4 hours of the incoming. The river looked very brown through my polarized sunnys as well.. B)

I took a couple of photos while i was out there this morning to share, sorry guys no fish pics though.... :P Cheers Beejay 001-20100320.JPG

post-7380-144598519698_thumb.jpg

I went out in search of snapper near the wharves, tryed about 4 spots in 2 hours and had nothing but catties and shovs. anywhere in less that 10m of water we were getting the pillies stripped by small tailor, dad hooked on about 20cm and then we moved on.

nice morning till 8ish when the wind got up. shame about the lack of fish.

hi mate, it was crappy weather pretty much all mornin and early arvo. I fished at Boggy Creek and only had small nibbles. Used gold slider lures and donuted. Crap day for fishin i think. the light showers were nice though. Better luck next time for both of us :(

Was anchored right near your last shot on Saturday morning, probably a few hours before you got there. 1 x snapper and 4 x bream throwing hard bodies at the rock wall.

Ducked around to boggy creek after that to pick up dillies. I tried the "cat tin" method this time. Only got two keepers. Going back to bait for the pots. Cat food stinks up the boat too much LOL.

Amix

yeah amix, I think I might have anchored up behind your boat when you were fishing the rock wall, unless you are the guy who was on the otherside of the rock wall flicking lures.

Glad to hear you got a couple of fish mate...cheers Beejay

Archived