NP Easter Sunday

Cowfish13

Because of the weather, we decided to go to North Pine dam.

We got to Forgans Grove at around 9am (I know, thats way too late) an set the Red claw pots. After a few casts, my brother hooked a rope and on each end of that rope, was a opera house pot and in one of them there was a Redclaw. So now we had 4 pots. I walked around the bank and I was casting a G-vibe when I hooked something that wasn't a snag, but it wasn't a fish. Turned out to be another yabby pot. There was no red claw, but there was evidence of two massive red claw in it. ie claws.

Didn't get any thing on the lures all day but while we were using them, a 50cm dewfish took my dads bait of a Mollusc and after a quick fight was landed, we let it go straight away. We got bored with the lures, so we started trying to catch some gars for use out in the bay. In just over 2 hours, we got 59 Garfish and it was the easiest fishing we had ever done. We could see hundreds and the were some that would have been over 40cm. While we were doing this, My dad caught 2 more dew fish and 2 big turtles. They weren't hooked in the mought though which was good.

Sadly, the dew fish were very skinny, but we did let them all go.

All up in that day we caught:

3 Dew fish (47, 48.5, 50cm)

8 turtles:( (6 in the pots, 2 on line)

59 Garfish

3 Red claw

3 Opera house pots

Gee you nearly bagged out on the opera house traps!

I wonder what fresh water Gar taste like, used to love the salt water ones, butterflied and fried in butter!

I wish DPI would let them stock Pine with Barra, if they survived the first winter, they would get mighty big with all the bait fish in there!

Feral wrote:

Gee you nearly bagged out on the opera house traps!

I wonder what fresh water Gar taste like, used to love the salt water ones, butterflied and fried in butter!

I wish DPI would let them stock Pine with Barra, if they survived the first winter, they would get mighty big with all the bait fish in there!

There garfish were all pretty small but they are perfect gang hook sized;)

I know what you mean about the bait fish. We had never fished for garfish before and we just threw a few crumbs of bread out and within 20 seconds, we had a hundreds of them eating it.

yeah i've heard recently that the fish coming out of our 3 dams arent looking to flash. i guess with the north pine and wivenhoe down to around 15% there probably isnt alot of food around, and with us heading into winter its probably more unlikely we will get decent rain until next summer:(

Brian: Next time you go to north pine, bring a loaf of old white bread, randomly chose a spot that looks like it might have fish, and start burlying up with bits of bread, and make sure that they are small bits. Thats all we did and hundreds came so I used a long shank hook about size 10, maybe smaller and a small float and we put either a bit of bread or a bit of mollusc on and cast it out. If you see the float moving, pull up hard and you should have one on.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, after I was walking back on the bank after checking some pots a fair walk away, I saw what looked like a dead fish on the dry ground. I picked it up and saw that it was a lure. After I washed it off, I found out that it was a Jackall TN/60:woohoo:.

I was so happyB)

Archived