Lake Lenthalls/burrum river

Aaron H

Hey guy7s well I finally cracked my first Barra and she was a beauty to, very excited I sent a piccie down to Brian and reading his post he guessed the size well it went 67 cm

After a long drive on Friday (Gympie is not a town made for a lot of traffic) Reached the Burrum river C/Park about 11 am and proceeded to set up the Taj Mahal tent my missus made me buy (gotta keep them happy so I can keep doing these trips) and waited for the rest of the party to arrive. After setting up camp the beers were opened and that put paid to a Lenthalls visit that afternoon. Went down the creek and got some mullet and prawns and sat on the bank with not much luck as the tide was low. It is one of those horrible mangrove mud creeks that you sink to your waste so we weren't keen for very long. We did see one guy hook up to a what looked like a nice salmon that did him at the bank. Good for future visits.

The next morning we woke up relatively early and realised someone pulled the plug on the creek again as we wanted some prawns for the dam. We went out on the jetty and started getting some nice prawns when disaster struck and the net snagged and ripped. After a few expletives we rationalised the situation, the girls were going to Hervey bay so we told them a top pocket cast net would be really appreciated (we begged really, but I want to keep some dignity)

So off we went to the dam after a lot of buggerising around and got there about 9.

Security guard checked us in and away the three boys went on our first barra expedition.

After an hour or so of drifting and casting to the lillies with lures, without luck we decide to use the six live prawns we had.

This is when I realise Brian was not kidding when he told me at least 30lb leader. My first cast with a live prawn resulted in a nice little bass at 30cm and in good nick but not much fun on 20lb line. Two casts later and bang, was onto a runaway submarine. This was either a barra or a bass on steroids. Adrenalin racing, excitement from all three of us as this fish was monstering me on 20 lb line and all of a sudden twang, line snapped. You would of heard me from Maryborough I reckon as we all looked at each other in amazement that I got busted off on 20 lb line in a freshwater impoundment. Oh well it was encouraging anyway.

The very next cast and bang I was on again and the battle was on. Thankfully after some very anxious moments with the snag we were anchored on up came the fish from the depths and to our amazement I finally had my first ever Barra. At 67 cm we were quite impressed by the fighting capabilities.

With only the one rod with 20lb gear and very limited supply of prawns, i let my mate have next go, and within a couple of minutes the prawn went and up came another nice little bass around the 35cm mark. And wasn't he dirty. He came to the conclusion that compared to the barra, bass are a nuisance by-catch, and didn't want anything to do with it.

With the prawns all out we decided to head to an island and throw a shrimp trap in and casting lures, although I spent more time sending picture messages to various people, especially some (Our girlfriends) who doubted our ability to catch this beautiful native.

On the bank one of the boys got nailed on a spinnerbait on a Pflueger loaded with 15lb fireline and 20lb fluorocarbon leader, but other than that not much else happened for the day and the weather turned a bit nasty so we went back to camp.

After winning back some respect with the girls (The barra cut into six nice size pieces and provided a meal with some chips) we went and put the pots out in the burrum river to try for some crabs and had a plastic session in the river. Being low tide again things were quiet and only a nice bream and a small cod were managed (Not by me, damn good for nothing plastics.)

So it was back to the campsite for some more beers, rum oh and Barramundi:)

The next day we were told we had to take the girls out (or face some hostile girlfriends when we got back, we thought it wise to keep the peace especially after they bought a new cast net) so with two small tinnies with three people in each (Not a lot of room but was still enjoyable) We were stopped at the ramp by the ranger to check our SIP's after reading the names, Big unit off this site introduced himself, amazing the way this site works. After a yarn and some hints from the local we were ready for another session. Only one problem, we could not find any prawns (so had to buy some very dodgy looking frozen ones that were red in colour) And the weather was looking pretty crook.

We went out and as soon as we anchored up down came the rain and up came the wind. After a quick lure flick and some prawn drowning my fishing party decided to head for the shore as it was getting pretty uncomfortable.

Our other boat to his credit stayed out a bit longer and he was the one with the two very unimpressed girls in the boat. I also had to do a rescue mission with the Sportsfisher 54lb thrust electric when his 4 hp wouldn't start.(Always thought he would be doing the towing with my habit of misjudging battery power so gave me a chance to dish it out a bit :evil: )

Now it was time to check the crab pots and hit the creek again ( a bit more sheltered).

After dropping off three cold and wet and quite unimpressed girls we left for the creek.

The pots were full with very large muddies only problem they were all female (I think the laws are going to push this species to extinctionas there is not a lot of fellas running around out there One bloke ahd caught 70 gennies over three days and one male)

We then threw a cast net around in the boat. To our amazment and disappoint the prawns were quite thick again and all we could think of was how good these would be at Lenthalls after the first session.

The afternoon fishing was a little slow but there a few cod and moses perch to keep us interested (There were pictures on the wall at the park of jacks and barra caught of the pontoon but we couldnt find them)

After a bit of sweet talking that night we were given permission for a morning session seeing we had a few prawns going in the bucket. To my horror Iw oke up and found the aerator battery had gone flat overnight and the prawns had died. a few quick casts again and we couldn't get any more prawns.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCF0232.JPG

Anyway an awesome trip with good company and a personal milestone of catching my dreamfish make the sandfly bites, ripped cast net and ordinary weather all worth it. The caravan park is an awesome place to stay with good facilites and not to far from the dam.

Big unit, nice to meet you mate, hope we didn't annoy u to much with all the questions and hope to see u up there again soon.

post-266-144598411136_thumb.jpg

Yeah guys planning another trip very shortly the 6hp limit makes the place a beautiful place to visit no skiiers and lilypads galore the lake looks fishy, I have to learn to throw a cast net though or will have to drag my mate up there again, although don't think he would complain

Good stuff Aaron - welcome back - next time I go I'm thinking the waterholes might be good to stay. How's them sand flies on the river.

I'm glad it rained on you too - hahahah - well mayby not so much you, cause I know it doesn't stop you but maybe next time the chicks will stay home.:evil:

Did you try the truck stop burgers?

By the way when you finally get to Awoonga you'll need 60lb fluro at least, none of this 20-30lb pussy stuff.

60lb fluoro bring it on:P Only 4 days till two weeks holidays, very seriously considering a couple of days back up there before Borumba anyone interested?

Brian seriously looks like I have chicken pox all this from the ten minutes it took me to get spray on!

Aaron ya goose, didn't read through our report from the last Lenthalls trip did ya! Ray ripped hell out of his cast net casting from the pontoon, just to the right, and out about 20 foot!!

In front or to the left no problems!

Glad to see you got a good barra! Yeah they go off in Lenthalls, Ferg reckons the 60 -70cm units we caught fought a lot more than the metre plus ones He got at Awoonga.

We were using 20lb mono as leader, did not snap any off, (well apart from Angus thinking he was bream fishing) but they took a fair while to get to the boat!

Did you get any shrimp in your pot? I reckon there aren't any in the the dam, we did not get a single one in 5 days. I was almost going to stick the shrimp pots into the Burrum to see if they worked on prawns, but I figured some bullie would probably just chew it up.

Feral thats the spot:blush: , funny thing was the cast before in the very same spot he got half a dozen in the one throw, No shrimp in the trap mate but I took a scoop net when we took the girls out and got a lot of really small ones (too small for bait >1cm long) Ever caught any prawns in a baited trap? If so would love to know your secret. I saw a few warning signs for bullies in the office and then saw a heap of kids swimming off the pontoon, no fear.

Great looking barra Aaron, yet to go north in search of them, but cant wait until I do.

Would be a great place for a boys weekend away, nothing but fishing, drinking and more fishing :P The lake sounds great, would love to flick lures around those lilly pads for some barra (or even the bass) haha.

Pity about the air pump goin dead, would have been good to throw all of them out live in the lake.

-nelson-

Good report Aaron, nice to meet you guys. Great to see you all had a good time, even if it did rain.

Cheers

James

PS - for your information

Using live bait in freshwater.

The use of fish and crustaceans such as Redclaw crayfish, Yabbies and Shrimps is prohibited outside thier natural environment or range. This is to prevent species becoming established in foreign habitats and causing environmental damage. Currently three species can be used as live bait -

Redclaw Crayfish ( cherax quadricarinatus )

Shrimp ( machobrachium australiensis )

Yabby ( cherax destructor )

Contact the DPI&F for more detailed information about the river basins which particular species can be used as live bait.

Brian D wrote:

THanks for the info unit - hey what are the Barra feeding on in the dam? I mean what is the natural food source?

Also when stocking Barra and Bass do they stock any food for em like gar or bony bream?

Food sources in Lenthalls are -

Snub nosed Gar ( arrhamphus sclerolepis )

Bony Bream ( nematalosa eribi )

Eel tailed Catfish ( tandanus tandanus )

Long finned Eel ( anguilla reinhardti )

Also species of Frogs, insects & baby birds that fall into the water or baby water fowl which are taken when swimming. Anything that falls into or swims in the water is fair game for a hungry Barra.

I dont know if the FCFSA stocks bait fish, at a guess I suppose they would.

Cheers

James

Big_unit wrote:

Brian D wrote:
Hey Unit does anyone fish for the gar?

Not that I have seen or been told about.

Why do you ask ?

Cheers

James

Because I want to live bait for the Barra next time I'm there and I've seen guys on this site catch plenty of gar! I was hoping to do the same at lenthalls.

well i dont see how using live bait in fresh would be illegal as long as the bait is in its natural range ie you got it from where your fishing and it is not a exotic pest fish

just the main method for collecting live bait is illegal and thats the trusty old castnet

remeber that some of the best fishing is done using live shrimp

Oztrav wrote:

well i dont see how using live bait in fresh would be illegal as long as the bait is in its natural range ie you got it from where your fishing and it is not a exotic pest fish

just the main method for collecting live bait is illegal and thats the trusty old castnet

remeber that some of the best fishing is done using live shrimp

On page 11 in the Recreational fishing rules & regulations for Queensland - A brief guide, under the heading Bait reads \" Currently three species can be used as live bait \"

I would think if you got caught, you might get fined.

It may be worth a call to DPI&F on 13 25 23 to clarify this.

Cheers

James

Big_unit wrote:

Brian D wrote:
THanks for the info unit - hey what are the Barra feeding on in the dam? I mean what is the natural food source?

Also when stocking Barra and Bass do they stock any food for em like gar or bony bream?

Food sources in Lenthalls are -

Snub nosed Gar ( arrhamphus sclerolepis )

Bony Bream ( nematalosa eribi )

Eel tailed Catfish ( tandanus tandanus )

Long finned Eel ( anguilla reinhardti )

Also species of Frogs, insects & baby birds that fall into the water or baby water fowl which are taken when swimming. Anything that falls into or swims in the water is fair game for a hungry Barra.

I dont know if the FCFSA stocks bait fish, at a guess I suppose they would.

Cheers

James

What I was thinking Big Unit is that if we don't see evidience that the gar are present then there probably isn't enough for the Barra to grow quickly. Without knowing all the facts I would guess that it would help the stocking program if they put lots extra food in there so the Barra don't eat the bass.

It's not my back yard so I am out of line a bit, but I am just thinking out loud.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/04/15 03:13

I dont think your out of line, it all helps when people put ideas forward.

Im know there are Gar in the Dam, I just dont think there are many in there. Id say the Bass & Barra have nailed quite a few of them.

I cant seem to find any info but does anyone know if Gar breed in the fresh ?

Cheers

James

Archived