Brekky Creek Saturday 27 March

novrain

hi guys

been a while since i've been out fishing but finally managed a session. good friend of mine - olly - flew in from overseas. very keen fisho too and he even brought 3 of his own rods and lures of his own.

touched down on saturday morning at about 10am. did some shopping, got some rest. got home and unloaded at about 530pm. left the house around 630pm to catch the last of the incoming tide before max high.

got to brekky creek. i was on bait (too lazy to lure) and he was luring the whole time we were there. no liveies at all and only managed to get one herring after many casts. put him on and continued netting. olly was peppering the place with all sorts of lures. deep divers, shads, poppers... didn't get a hit.

herring wasn't touched so i put him back in the live bucket and put on a live prawn i managed to get. not long later, felt this heavy weight on it. started reeling in. felt like a crab as it was just this heavy weight. no headshakes at all. there was definitely something on it but no idea what. reeling reeling then *POP*. it dropped off. hook came back prawnless.

herring went back on. 5 mins later, was day dreaming when suddenly felt the obligatory struggle. hang on, something's up.... i let out some line... and waited... and waited...

then started reeling in and still nothing... i remember jeff.F telling me threadies like to have the bait in their mouth so i kept praying.....decided to lock and reel. kept reeling and yet nothing!.. i must have lost it when suddenly the reel screamed *zzzzzzzzzzzz..........zzzzzzzzzzzz*...

didn't need to strike and i was on.......fought for a good 6 - 8 mins and olly was no where to be seen! *zzzzzzz screaming reel.....left and right*.....he had disappeared around the corner trying to get something on lures. i was praying it stayed on, praying my hooks were tied right, praying the line wouldn't pop.

saw a flash of silver.. .then gold... and finally this fella surfaced. and still no olly! pulled him to the side, got another fisherman there to help with his net and finally got him on...had such a big smile on my face and had the adrenaline pumping...

very nice gold sheen on him/her but its belly was bloated. punctured its belly and tried swimming it but it didn't want to go. took it back and cut its gills... it was only at this stage that olly got back! with the biggest 'OMG' on his face.

i wanted him to get a threadie but I got it instead.....

didn't want to dirty the rental car and his missus is pregnant and can't stand the fishy smell. didn't have a bag or net so took off my shirt and wrapped it up and chucked in the boot. left at around 830pm.

scaled, cut up, pan fry, late dinner.... yum......

i understand there's research going on about this so i'll try and keep the frame unless missus uses it for stock.

good session after such a long time....

thanks for reading.

pic attached

P3270052_comp.jpg

scope - tasted pretty good ... they're known to be good eating fish.... especially when its bled and fresh

flexo - the belly gets bloated cos they come up too quickly and gas gets built up in their bellies quickly. i don't believe one small prick to release the air will hurt it as i know fish can still survive with hooks in their mouths or bellies as it gets dispelled after some time but i could be wrong.

there are lots of guys on this site who know these things better than me so if anyone knows if its good or bad, pls share

Archived