Moogerah Dam

saddlerau

Hello All,

New to the site so hope i get this right. The wife and I went to Moogerah Dam today, and what a glorious day for it, she was on live worms and I still percervering with the SP's(still dont have the hang of them). Lake is a approx 3.5 % capacity according to the caretaker and if your launching a boat, can be tricky and best to have a 4WD. The bites were plentiful on the worms and Fiona managed to land and release 2 silver perch(slightly small ), and got bit off on the bank by an eel,(looks like the worm farm is going to be set up again), so score was

LB 3-SP 0(oh well i'll try harder next time). Talking to a one of campers, and the catfish are prevelant, and we now wish we had taken the tent, but our first time there so didnt know what to expect. We did visit Maroon dam first but werent sure on how to get to the water as we are land based at this stage so we will have to think of something there. All in all it was a great first trip to a freshwater lake for fishing. Till our next outing, Tight lines .......Chris

Hi Chris - welcome

I hear you on the SP's - they are over rated in my view but still work well as an alternative to HB's and bait but I wouldn't rely on em 100%.:unsure:

Having said they I'll get shot down as places like Lenthalls can be very SP friendly.:ohmy:

How was the water - much hull hazard with the level bing so low? What was the water temp?:)

There is something special about fresh dams my wife loves them but I'm lucky so far - she doesn't want to come to Awoonga (yet). ;)

Any photos of your visits?:whistle:

Anyway - welcome to you both. :cheer:

I have caught most of my best bass at somerset dam on softies baby bass slider or rainbow trout eco gear did the trick on 1/2 ounce jig head but that was in a boat and soundering schools up.Try beetle spins casting around the edges of maroon that should get you a few bass or goldens.

yeah mate to get on the bottom then nice slow retrieve twitching the plastic or lifting rod tip up then let it sink down again I've caught bass by just letting the wind do the work letting the plastic drag along the bottom while i was doing something else.I found winter or spring time the best for this technique in summer I use spinnerbaits more because the bass are higher in the water columm.

Archived