another tagging trip, forgot the camera :*(

nadders

I usually like to let the photos do the talking but i left the camera at home tonight :( so i'll dust off the writing skills lol

Went out with fishingnut tonight to do a bit more tagging. Was his first time fishing the river mouth and he got a taste of some good action

started out slow with the first 2 spots hit producing timid strikes but no hookups. ran into wes and mick, had a chat then shot off to the next spot

started hopping the deepthroaters in about 12m of water when beau gets distracted on some conversational tangent, then turns around as his rod is bent double and thumping violently. good fight later and in comes a 60cm snap which is not a bad fish to open the brissy river account on

did a long drift casting to the rocks and found no action until the point where i said "we'll drift to here then motor back and try another spot" where i got a solid wack, dropped the throater back down and a few tiny flicks later came solid on an 80cm jew. tagged and released and we drifted back the way we came.

Moved again back to spot #1 for the night which i thought might have been firing for the snaps but only managed a 30cm. tagged him and decided to chase some threadies and stick a tag in em.

We were greeted by the best thing you can hope for when chasing threadies, that is a school of them surface feeding in the lights boofin jelly prawns.

now we had a bit of a dilemma, only lures on board were deepthroaters and in this situation an unweighted gulp shrimp or similar is the necessary dynamite but there was nothing for it but to stick with the throaters

got some very cool follows all the way to the boat watching big threadies stalk the lure with whiskers flying everywhere is something you dont forget in a hurry. i decided to plonk a cast right on their heads and make some noise which resulted in a take and a tailwalking thready hookup. actually pulled the hooks on this one as i gave him too much stick trying to keep him from diving down.

Ended up catching tagging and releasing 2 of them a 103 and a 101, the 103 spent the whole fight in the first 5m of the water column no bladder filled with air and he released without a dropline, the second was iffy as i hooked him in 5-10m, although the bladder was not bulging its better safe than sorry so i droplined him to the bottom. Both fish out of the water for only 20sec and swam away strongly to hopefully one day reveal some mysteries about these magnificent fish.

Copped a bit of a sour end to the night as I recieved a $200 fine for my all round white light not being on a 4m stalk :S

also got told my nav lights are on a slight angle to the keel which is illegal!!!! (and also makes zero difference to the observer near or far) and my rego stickers are 19cm instead of 20cm high (that 1cm REALLY would make a huge difference in the distance you could read the rego from imo. no sarcasm!)

rant over!

cheers

Dan

Just to add my allround is about 40cm above the gunwale and I have been pulled up by the water police twice in the last 12 months on the river and waved to them dozens of times but no fine. Though they have been very active lately ,no need to wonder why.

i too have been pulled up previously many times without any mention steve, the nav light thing is purely rediculous to me that they could complain its not on a parallel angle to the keel. i asked if it makes any difference to the visibility and they said nup, then whats the ******** issue lol.

rego stickers too, since the side of my hull isnt flat the stickers don't measure a flat 20cm (19cm, oh noes) but does that 1cm make any practical difference? i think no lol

i really have a harsh dislike for this kind of thing as the legislation is there to ensure safety, but the things i was pulled up on do not present a safety issue

ive seen my boat at night and theres no angle that you cant see nav lights or anchor lights, the people that should be getting fined are the dead***ts i almost ran into drifting around claras beacon with no lights at all in the dark :angry:

im not sure what to do now with my white light, from the looks of it i'll need a 1.5m pole if i ever have anyone 6ft or over in the boat. :dry:

do i even do anything with the nav lights? from a safety point of view theres no issue but from the ticketing point of view theres big $$$ to be had from my wallet lol :(

was funny though steve one of the officers was thoroughly confused by the tagging gear on the back seat, asked for a torch and gave it a good search, then said wtf is that pointing at the ghetto release weight

Shame about the fine mate, but great report and congrats on the fish.

There have been a few cases where people using boats on the river have been fined for the smallest of things that might seem silly, but there are laws for a reason, so just be careful I say.

Those threadies do have a habit of following your lure right back to it's point of origin so to speak, had one follow a TT out at hope island in only a foot of water feelin it up so to speak all the way in. Turned away 2 feet from shore.

Keep up the reports mate

Sounds like a good night fishing ,Bout the light thing i got pulled up last year right in front of water police last november, my boat was 4 weeks old and the all round white light was not visible from 360` only got warning though as i think they felt sorry for me, and not many manufactures seem to have any concerns with selling unseaworthy boats nor did the dealership in Capalaba where i bought mine ,i showed him my warning notice and he said im going to have to mount a light up higher and walked away ,great after sales servive that was ,rrrrrr anyway bout time i got that off my chest.

yeah good night ay. :woohoo: I cant believe you forgot the camera :silly:

Dan I couldnt quite tell if it was you at first cause I couldnt read ya rego no. it just seemed that tinny bit to small to read it. :laugh: :laugh: what a load of croc.put a light at the front and still have one at the back that will stuff em.there were alot of boats on the water last night with no lights on.

getting abit off topic hear- Something I just dont get about the rego of boats is that there non reflective .any other form of regesterd vehicle must have a reflected rego and illuminated once visability is impeared.why not on boats?

mick

mick its because "common sense" and "the law" are so very often at odds with each other.

no way i'd have one at the front too then i wouldnt be able to see anythin at all at night lol bright white lights shining in my eyes everywhere i look :(

cheers

Dan

Oh ok I thought that the problem was your bodies were blocking the light while you were standing up flicking live bait wana be's :laugh:(jj's) but I get it now and i thought you could put it on a seperate switch to turn off when under way but thats not going to work for ya when all you need is a taller pole.

mick

Sounds like the same guy that gave me a hard time on the morning of the BRC last year - same deal with the lights but graciously didn't fine me because it was daylight at the time, and also let me off creating a small wash in the no-wash zone under the gateway cos there was a 15knot wind blowing that was creating way more wash than the boat. Only time I have had any sort of problem with the water police, who I think do a great job of keeping us safe. Sounds like great fishing there Nadders. I want to do a night fish down there but will have to get my factory fitted lights replaced before I do :(

Old Scaley wrote:

Sounds like the same guy that gave me a hard time on the morning of the BRC last year - same deal with the lights but graciously didn't fine me because it was daylight at the time....

How nice of him.

Seriously can you be done for having non compliant nav lights boating during the day? What just in case you misjudge the length of the day and get caught out in the dark.

Don't mean to come across as a cop hater or anything as for 90% of cops out there I have tremendous respect. However common sense should prevail. Cops have the option of exercising discretion and it annoys me a few wankers with a chip on their shoulder arre unable to be reasonable.

A far as im aware there is no need for lights to be on a boat at all if your not operating outside of daylight hours or within these hours at times of restricted visability.

You can buy boats registered without lights.

Im not sure however that if during daylight hours and your boat does have lights if they are able to fine you because they are not compliant. Anything i read in the regs doesnt state that they can

Richard.

Morning guys, hit the river last night didnt do any good myself,spoke to another guy at the ramp just bought his boat yesterday ,first trip same problem anchor light not visible from 360` $200 on the spot, esky full of jew though hopefully offset his bad finish to the night.

dang the whole fining for lights sounds like there going off.

i was there last weekend during the day but i had removed my nav lights .

as i was talking with some1 and they told me that my lights where incorrectly mounted ,i mounted them in the old holes .

glad i took them off to be on the safe side .

guess i will be doing a remount and get a meter pole for the anchor light before i do a night trip.

here is the link about nav lights.

/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Navigation-lights.aspx

here is the link for the pdf more detail in it.

/>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/msqfiles/home/safety/navigation-lights/pdf_nmsc_brochure_tips_installing_nav_lights.pdf

well at least u guys got some fish ,nice 1 :)

dog pound wrote:

Morning guys, hit the river last night didnt do any good myself,spoke to another guy at the ramp just bought his boat yesterday ,first trip same problem anchor light not visible from 360` $200 on the spot, esky full of jew though hopefully offset his bad finish to the night.

An esky full of Jew ? must have been a big esky min size is 75 cm, possesion limit 2.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing elops.

On the topic of lights, I have just acquired a 14ft tinny and went out on Monday morning. Hastily went to BCF on Sunday with my brother (who is more knowledgeable about all things boating than me) and grabbed the LED lights with suction caps. Will have to read up on the rules as from what I can gather here these won't do? Can't afford to be dishing out $200.

Caught a few fish - will post a report later today.

bit of bad luck nadders on the fine. we were at mud the other night and a bloke was drivin in the dark with no white light just nav lights. his nav lights were visible front on but when he went away from us you couldn't see a thing..just the buzz of the engine. both lights obviously too far forward. we also saw a bloke fishing the 106 pylon and we couldn't see his all round light when we had gone past him. it must be one of those 4 inch ones? we've been told about out all round light too. why make boats with illegal stuff on em? I haven't seen a light on a 4m stalk so where dya buy em? good work on the fishing but..good to see.

nadders wrote:

john the way it was explained to me its impossible to even buy one thats good enough. have to make your own i guess :\

its like legalising drug dealing and locking up the users lol

true mate so true..i'm gonna get one fitted to the top of the console frame in the bandit. i bet it wont be good enough with the canopy on..lol. the bloke who stopped us said it had to be higher than anything else..what a joke! i can see the serious side but you haven't gotta be einstein to work out if the guy in the boat is genuine or a ****er. why not write ya ticket..give ya so many days to rectify the prob or then cop a fine? i still can't believe he got ya for the rego signage!!!!! did he get out and measure it? either way this guys a nob in my book

nadders wrote:

haha, yeah mate theyre a flexible vibration lure that i make

im surprised there hasnt been more innuendo about the name actually this is only the second time its come up :laugh:

Have thought about it a bit - but as this is a family site - decided to let that one go through to the keeper :P:P:P:P

Archived