Land based shark fishing spots

The Mad Hughesy

I have two lb spots I like. The first is the boat ramp at Bethania (haven't tried waterford ramp yet) and the second is the ramp at Fig Tree Pocket. The best bit of advise I can give is live bait, any sized bream, catfish, mullet, hearing etc. If you use dead baits you'll be getting eels and catfish only but that makes good live bait :P Also the water needs to be moving, either side of the tides. Good luck

Ok, well I've never caught a shark in my life but, I do know for a fact that Mr Felix and a mate of his used to go fishing at night at the victoria point jetty (where the ferry to coochie comes and go) and they used to catch a heap of sharks.

Mr Felix says they used to get some Bronze whalers, Hammerheads, shovelnosed rays, bull sharks and several unstoppables. He used to use heavy surf gear out there and for bait they used whole bottle squid and live herrings for bait. He said he cant remember what tides he caught them on but I dont think it would matter.

Also head down to the pumping jetty one night during the week and set up at the end on the cage. If you get on to some tailor set one up live on some heay surf gear, I use 150LB wire trace of 1m with a 10/0 main hook and 6/0 keeper. Biggest I've got down there was 2.5m. Remember the new rule of maximum 1.5m.

• 4 months later...

I found a spot on the northside and ive sharked it everyday for 4 days and got absolutely smashed everyday and have bought home 2 bullys around 1.2m mark.If live baits arent available,eel chunks are my choice,they last forever,peckers dnt touch them and sharks seem to live them.Evne when i fish for the big stuff with the tiagra i use eel and it never fails :)

post-8439-144598534848_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
I found a spot on the northside and ive sharked it everyday for 4 days and got absolutely smashed everyday and have bought home 2 bullys around 1.2m mark.If live baits arent available,eel chunks are my choice,they last forever,peckers dnt touch them and sharks seem to live them.Evne when i fish for the big stuff with the tiagra i use eel and it never fails :)

fishguts, care to shed wisdom on your northside spot. no spot x's just a nudge towards the bite. Me and a mate have hit several spots on the pine all the way up to the fresh with no luck. would love some light. PM if necessary

cheers

Archived