Technique help, popping for Tarpon

Death Ray

Could I get some advice here???

I have tried a couple of times to catch some Tarpon in the Clear Island Waters lakes, without much success....

I got a large Tarpon hookup on a 45mm Bubble Pop, but the fish spat the lure near the bank. So I changed up to a 65mm popper, but didn't get any more hits. I changed to the larger popper because I thought the hooks on the 45mm were too small. Sighted a few more but thats about it. Fishing at dawn till about 7.30am.

I tried slow and fast action retrieves, and also let it sit for a while. Can I get some help on what type of action is best, and if I should go back to the small popper. Advice on popper types would be great too.

cheers

One idea you could consider is switching the treble to a single, and maybe see how you go then? The single should provide a much more secure hook up.

Also when you do get a hit, make sure you really sink the hooks in hard. Try to rip its head off with your hookup if you have to.

Also try other surface lures, like walk the dog type lures.

Hey mate,

I'd also suggest trying a single hook instead of the treble, although it's not something i've tried. Tarpon have quite a hard mouth, so yeah ya really have to sink those hooks. If you are using braid, make sure you have a rodlength or two of mono leader, mono because flurocarbon sinks and doesn't aid in finicky topwater presentations. This will add some stretch to the rig and could be the difference between lost and landed fish.

Also, try keeping your' rod lower to the surface of the water during the fight, as the Tarpon tend not to be as aerobatic this way, altghough you will still get the odd one that thinks it's a ballistic missile

I agree with Terry about the single lure hooks. I always ditch the trebles when chasing 'toga and Tarpon. I have about a 30% success rate in making the hooks stick. Both fish have extremely smooth and hard mouths, and as soon as the fish wants to let go of the lure its only pure luck if the hooks have found a spot to sink into.

i've found that if the treble goes right down their gob you have to strike hard.

their lips and jaw hinge on the other hand, i think you'll find you will actualy rip the lips off them if you strike hard.

this is one of the reasons for them throwing hooks when they jump.

not trying to stir the pot, these are just my experiences with tarpon.

:)

my last session i used the Bubble Pop 45, in bannana prawn colour. but have had them on sammy 65s and 100mm sammy replica.

i think as long as you are landing the lure in the area you can see the boils and rolls your in with a good chance.

i found blind casting is a waste of time with tarpon, wait till you see them and hit that spot.

The most effective method is a 2 1/2" or 3" T tailed grub type plastic on a no. 1 gamagatsu worm hook ala the pink grub surface bream technique, slow steady retrieve dont strike unless the rod loads up. Hold rod straight in front 45 degrees strike sideways and down and wind.

shaggy wrote:

elops,

are you using any weight, or just working it on the surface??

No weight just the gamagatsu size 1 wormhook it has barbs on the shank which stop the plastic from coming off. Tie hook with locked half blood knot and line up hook on plastic so knot is just inside head of plastic helps to keep it on. Bend of hook comes out the same side as tail on plastic. Fish it on the surface you can do walk the dog type retrieve ,little pops very versatile. Can also cut head of plastic on angle like a popper. Very effective and cheap surface lure. Very good hook up rate on tarpon they can inhale it easily. Atomic 2 1/2" t tail grubs gold glitter or ecogear grass minnow okiami(pink)size M my favourites.

Kenshin wrote:

i wouldent mind catching my first tarpon as well, are you north brisst hooked on trout?

is 4lbs gear to light for them? say 4lbs mainline with heavyer leader id imagine that them being acrobatic would shred leaders pretty quick

I am sure you could catch them on standard light spin gear.

I'm South Brisbane,lets hopes someone fills us in on the details

Cheers

hooked_on_trout wrote:

Kenshin wrote:
i wouldent mind catching my first tarpon as well, are you north brisst hooked on trout?

is 4lbs gear to light for them? say 4lbs mainline with heavyer leader id imagine that them being acrobatic would shred leaders pretty quick

I am sure you could catch them on standard light spin gear.

I'm South Brisbane,lets hopes someone fills us in on the details

Cheers

lol whoever posts up the biggest tarpon by next week wins! i dont even know if tarpon are around with the cold weather comming on?

hooked_on_trout wrote:

Just wondering, as I have never caught a Tarpon, do they hold in brackish/fresh lakes?

And what are some good spots to try for a Tarpon, fresh and salt.

I am totally oblivious to this type of fishing.

Cheers

I second those questions. B)

One of a select few species on my 'to catch' list, I've got the gear just don't know where to start

Mr FeLiX wrote:

hooked_on_trout wrote:
Just wondering, as I have never caught a Tarpon, do they hold in brackish/fresh lakes?

Cheers

One of a select few species on my 'to catch' list, I've got the gear just don't know where to start

hey felix out of interest what is the gear you use for lureing tarpon

iv caught a couple little ones around 40cm in the upper brissy river from my yak. None on surface poppers set, mainly plastics. The ones ive caught iv seen a flash of silver and then i cast into the area, they sure can be hard to hook, but even if you miss they will be back for another hit i reckon. :laugh: great fun, and i reckon you could handle bigger ones on light spin gear

CopyofImage0255.jpg

Kenshin wrote:

Mr FeLiX wrote:
hooked_on_trout wrote:

Cheers

hey felix out of interest what is the gear you use for lureing tarpon

Prety much my light bream outfit but with a heavier leader. 3 Piece T Curve tournament, 2500 Stradic CI4 with 6 Pnd finns and 6-8Pnd leader is using HBs

On the contrary to what everyone else has said, i've actually found trebles to be better then singles for them. My mates and i have had sessions where we have literally missed 50+ hits using singles, on trebles we still miss alot but nowehere near as many as singles. Missing and dropping tarpon is just part of the game. A plastic is alwasy the better option if you know there around, they rarely miss the hook there. Use flickbaits and other minnow style plastics.

Archived