what are we susposed to do with undersize fish

kmetius

There are a couple of reasons why you have to let em go

What is to stop you damaging the fish and saying it happened before you landed it?:evil: :S

There is a food chain and most smaller fish get eaten by larger fish, dead or alive. By a lager fish eating a dead fish it gives a smaller fish a chance of life! think about it.:) One less live fish gets eaten.

That's why there are fines in place.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/04/21 20:05

With you all the way Brian. I've got a mate in NZ who was once (shudder) a fisheries officer, the excuse you quoted was one of the most common he heard (after the obvious crop of \"I didn't know\" type lines). The food chain line of thinking makes good sense too B)

thanks guys wasn't quiet sure and wanted to check as we found a great spot ( got kicked out when we went back though) and we caught alot of bream.... good size and babies however the babies were all bleeding pretty bad from the gills when we brought them up ( not to mention swallowing my bigger hooks) and when we put them in the water they stayed still then went sideways and tummy up one swam off about 2 meters before going belly up.

I never got the chance to hook the fish on they would have a nibble then come back for a second go and bang their on! they were very aggresive with their bites which i thought was unusual for breaam they are normally quiet shy and check it out for while before taking it. i have to say though i am impressed with my new rod we were there for 1/2hr and caught 12 fish 3-4 were undersize we kept 2 of the big ones and let the rest go. it's just a shame when we went back after eating our freshly caught dinner that we were booted out.

Archived