first lizard on s.p

katfish

well, after dropping lge lizard last week at nudgee bch, finally landed my first flatty yesterday on a squidgee fish in gary glitter. the fish was only 30cm, but still a first for me. very happy I am.

used a sol 2000, sicstik 1-3, 6 pound fins yellow, 3 metres of 8 pound platypus platinum leader, tied with a slim beauty.

thanks to all you folks on these forums for all the info, tips & tricks, which helped me to understand this soft plastic revolution. cheers.

p.s. fish was released unharmed.

no boat, just landbased. fished the low tide on the turn. great spot, but was blowing it`s nuts off. had to time the casts between squalls to maximize distance. anyone keen to share some landbased locations would be great. dont want to steel your secret spots. Target species; anything that swims, bigger the better.

have heard about brekkie ck mouth, brissie river, for cod, jew & salmon, is this an option in colder months. cheers.

katfish wrote:

no boat, just landbased. fished the low tide on the turn. great spot, but was blowing it`s nuts off. had to time the casts between squalls to maximize distance. anyone keen to share some landbased locations would be great. dont want to steel your secret spots. Target species; anything that swims, bigger the better.

have heard about brekkie ck mouth, brissie river, for cod, jew & salmon, is this an option in colder months. cheers.

gday , always feels good to get that first one aye. and sounds like you have a good setup to do it with aswell. you might be interested in havin a read of this post from a few weeks ago http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/10-all-brisbane-rivers-and-creeks-reports/265617-night-out-with-friends-2-sunday-16th-may#265617

Great effort mate,

Lizards are a great SP target, and any catch is a catch. I used to consistently catch them on clear mister twister single tail grubs with pink tails, without fail in the area I used to haunt in NSW, but in QLD my only great success was the one in my avatar, 52.5cm on a live mullet

yes they love live baits. I used to go to Moreton island every year(not for last 10 years) for the Flathead spawn (Feb ,march, & mid Sept ). between the 5 of us, we could get 70 fish in a day, using sml whiting. it was just too easy. after that, I went to pink hard bodies, with reasonable success. We would fish until the sun went down, and when we started getting bitten off, we would change to heavy leader & get white tip reef sharks one after another. we would keep the odd one for a feed, not bad chewing if marinated in chili sauce & honey. yum. going back in mid September again this year to do it all again, cant wait.

Archived