blue green algae transportation help

hey

firstly ill give a bit of background information on what im trying to do

i have to do a biology assigment on disease control/microbiology.

my plans are to do the effects of bluegreen algea on the rest of the eco system, including animals and vegitation. also the control of it and how it can be ridded from a water system

i got a few questions i was hoping to get help with:

1. are there regulations on transporting blue green algae?

2. how do i dispose of it once im finished so that it doesnt get into my local creek? eg boil water?

3. provided it is legal to transport it, can one reach it to take a sample from the bank of NPD?

4. ray, dino and others have you seen redclaw (or anyother organisms) affected by it? eg have it growing on them? is it legal to transport them

5. is there any attempt to kill it? and if so what? and are there any products available to treat it

thats all i can think of now. any information is good information.

thanks guys

Joel

I think that Elops would be the person who would be the best source of info.

The algae was not very thick yesterday. I have seen it almost at the consistance of pea soup at Baroon pocket and it did not appear to affect the bass.

They have bubblers at quite a few dams to oxygenate the water to reduce the alge blooms.

It seems more prevalent in summer.

Cheers

Ray

Joel not all Blue green-algae(cyanobacteria)a bit of a misnomer as they are actually bacteria not algae are toxic. Here are a couple of links which may help.

www.derm.qld.gov.au/water/blue_green/blue_green.html

www.dpi.qld.gov.au/4790_13200.htm

cheers

Steve.

Joel Eadie wrote:

hey

firstly ill give a bit of background information on what im trying to do

i have to do a biology assigment on disease control/microbiology.

my plans are to do the effects of bluegreen algea on the rest of the eco system, including animals and vegitation. also the control of it and how it can be ridded from a water system

You need to talk to your lecturer, which we would hope is an ecologist or marine biologist.

There are standards for water sampling, and quite often sampling from the bank may not be considered representative of the whole dam.

I know for small creeks a sampler will use waders and sample from the middle about 30cm below the surface.

This nay differ from dams, but seek advice from your lecturer before carrying out ambient sampling from the banks.

cheers

Archived