Northside spearfishing and free diving

The Mad Hughesy

Hey all,

I'm really wanting to get into spearfishing but I'm really not sure of land based places to go on the northside. I've never spearfished before but I wanna just go for a dive to have a look to see of it's worth getting into. Would anyone be keen to maybe go on a bit of a exploration around redcliffe or Scarborough just to see what's out there?

• 2 months later...
scotts point at redcliffe would be good? i'd come along for sure

Make sure you check your zoning map carefully. Scotts Pt is on the edge of the green zone.

We used to spearfish around the end of Shields St as kids but you're likely to get prop marks up your back these days. Spring is a good time to have a snorkle around the Redcliffe reefs as the water is starting to get warmer but still has that winter clarity. It got a bit grubby with the rain but it's cleared up again lately.

Good luck.

I used to spear fish quite a lot in younger years. I didn't think you could spear fish around Redcliffe as is classed as not open waters. Rivers are the same. If we wanted to spear fish we went up the coast of the rocks like Kings beach or around moololaba. I could be wrong though.....

Tonzie, I checked the Moreton Bay Marine Pk booklet. Spearfishing is still permitted in all zones of Moreton Bay except the green zones, provided you are not using scuba gear or a power head.

FG, I never saw a shark when snorkeling around Shields St. reef, possibly because we tended to go in the middle of the day?

I have caught small reef sharks when fishing that spot in the early morning in a boat. I'm not a sharkie, but I thought Woody Pt was the shark mecca of the peninsula?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

theres a line from skirmish pt on bribie to combie pt on moreton that limits spearing, i dont know if its just on moreton but you aarnt allowed to spear south of that line, which is also the line of open water, so i belive that the person that touched on that point is correct.

if it is legal i live in redcliffe and would come out as a buddy with you, all of the reefs along redcliffe would go good!

Archived