problem with crab pot :(

brissy fish

Hey guys,

recently i got a new round crab pot as i gave my old rectangle ones away cause i went over seas.. any way, i have thrown the round crab pot in to some of my favorite crab spots which i used to catch a lot of crab with the rectangle one but i havent had any luck with the round one...

so i dont know what the problem is?? i have made the holes a bit bigger cause i thought maybe they couldnt get in but that hasnt helped :( dont know what to do cause i dont want to throw it..

Any ideas of what my problem is????

PS im writing this at 4 am after work so it does make sence that is why :P lol

brissy fish wrote:

yeah i only let them soak while we r there and some times that a 8 hr sesh.... most of the time we use frozen mullet from the servo, sliced and old bream or flatties frames...

will try again soon.. :)Thanks for the advise

matey,the last lot of serious crabbing #1 son and I did was back in march/april,weather was crappy,my round pots were out doing his rectangular ones about 3-1,and I personally find the rectangular ones too fiddly to empty and rebait when your running a line of pots.

The area we were crabbing has its resident sharefarmers so we checked our pots about every 2.5 hrs and I think this helped our catch rate,because if there wasn`t anything in a pot we would move it a bit further along,so that by the end of each day(we left our pots undisturbed overnights) we had covered a reasonable amount of area.So we were chasing them rather than waiting for them to come to the pots.

I like to drop my pots around mangrove creek mouths and likely areas where the bottom drops away about 2-3 metres,this especially if there`s been rain around.I drop my pots with the entrance holes facing up and down current.

With your bait you could experiment and splash a bit of kero on the baits of half your pots and see if that helps.Any legal fish you keep for a feed,freeze the frames and heads for future pot baits

But the bottom line is mud crab numbers should be starting to improve

Archived