Gold Coast Creeks

Schmuck

I managed to find some free time on the last couple of Sundays and spent them walking and exploring the local creeks around the area.

First trip was a couple of weeks ago during the middle of the day. We spent more time driving and walking than actually fishing but the scenery was great and it turned out to be quite a relaxing session wading up and down the river. Sussed out a couple of good spots before my mate had to go home at 3pm for a donut, but not before some hilarious antics with stinging nettle.

img0006800.jpg

Luckily just as we arrived back home, a few other mates rocked up for an afternoon session. After a quick bite, I headed back to one of the creeks we had fished earlier. The afternoon proved better fishing with a couple of bass in the first few casts to open up the my season. Not surprisingly when I did actually catch one, I had forgotten to bring the camera for the afternoon trip :huh: They were only small fish (~25-30cm) taken on beetle spins, but in good condition and fought well in the current. We continued fishing the rest of the accessible areas along the creek but didn't manage anything else.

The latest session took us to a few new locations on another south coast river. Again we spent alot of time walking and wading the water, but not surprisingly we also spent alot of time wishing we had kayaks.

img0001800.jpg

img0002800.jpg

img0003800.jpg

I made sure I didn't forget the camera this time although I almost lost it running away backwards in the water from a snake going downstream :silly: Didn't see it until I almost stood on it, but the snake and my escape proved to be good omen and the very next cast in the middle of the creek resulted in a nice bass.

img0004800.jpg

img0005800.jpg

A couple of quick snaps and it was back in the water to swim with the snake. Didn't manage anymore that afternoon despite the storm brewing and I haven't noticed any surface activity yet either. Despite the lack of fish it was still a rewarding afternoon trekking around with a couple of mates.

Can't wait for the next Sunday arvo session B)

Schmuck wrote:

Yeah there are heaps of good looking spots around this way. However the spots I've found accessible by foot have been fairly skinny streams that probably hold only 1-3 bass at the one time, which means I gotta keep finding more spots to shuffle/rotate :laugh:

I reckon that is probably the best way to fish a system anyway mate. I did a work trip up to Tully, and got on to some sooties in the Jarra Creek. The best thing about this is that it is Defence land, and the fellas I went with never went to the same place day after day. They had about a dozen spots that they rotated through. Some of this water was very skinny too, however a cast into a snag nearly always resulted in a sootie, simply due to the fact that any one particular spot wasn't over-fished.

Personally I reckon you have a sweet as spot down there, quite the adventure :)

Cheers,

Ryan.

Archived