1770 and brissy river

darcy

Cant usually be bothered posting but have just come back from a trip to 1770. Caught some mad fish but definately wasnt easy with so many boats raping up there. Had a two good days offshore were the fish wanted to play the game. Over 2 days we had a tally of 15 cobia, 8 amberjack, 2 goldens (both over a metre), 15+ tealeaf trevs and a few reefies. The first day we fished for 6 hours and we were playing fish for at least 5hours of that time which was mad fun. With the biggest cobe at 135-140 taking me just over an hour to land. The golden trev went 101 and the biggest cobe weighed 30kg+.We were using 7inch placcys, knife jigs and pe tackle flies just hopping them over the bottom. Was running 5kg+ drag the whole time which gave you a good workout. Also a few pics of some fish from the river just before the rain. cheers darcy ill let the pics do most of the talking.

tffff.jpg

P1010415.jpg

P1010340.jpg

Picture132.jpg

Picture131.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Picture124.jpg

Picture126.jpg

mad double in the river on plastics

Picture123.jpg

brissy river gt went hard as on 4lb leader

Picture086.jpg

little jewwyyyy

Picture083.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture077.jpg

Picture074.jpg

a lot of fish

Picture028.jpg

CopyofPicture070.jpg

CopyofPicture068.jpg

CopyofPicture064.jpg

CopyofPicture063.jpg

CopyofPicture058.jpg

CopyofPicture051.jpg

CopyofPicture046.jpg

82cm amberjack

CopyofPicture032.jpg

CopyofPicture030.jpg

CopyofPicture030.jpg

Picture139.jpg

post-365-144598538756_thumb.jpg

nice report mate, some top fish there. did u do any land based? heading up for chrissy, looking for help!

adam

hey dude we only fished surface landbased and did pretty well we got a couple different species of trevs, massive pike and small queenies just pick a slack tide on dusk or dawn. it is pretty raped up there though am not going to lie.

awesome mate what size sol and what ound line you using on it

its a sol 2000 with some pe crap braid on it ( 10lb i think)

hey wesfish i honestly thought that some of the fish in the photos above would have been 30kg maybe im wrong but i dont know if you have caught cobes before but they are solid as me.

cheers for everyones comments

the water looks sooooooo good,complete glass out

hey man the second day was awesome was just glass but on the first day it took 2 and half hours to get out with a average speed of 19km with a 1.5-2.5m swell and 15-20knot winds but once we got out there all the wind stopped. was still the roughest trip i have ever been through and we also had to go through a breaking 4-5ft bar ahah was worth it but.

• 2 weeks later...

Last few trips up there we fished around fitzroy and had some good catches. Was just wondering if the cobes were in closer as we went over some nice ground about 10ks out on the way there and found more awesome ground about 45km's out that produced some really good red emperor and sweetlip.

nice report mate, some top fish there. did u do any land based? heading up for chrissy, looking for help!

adam

hey dude we only fished surface landbased and did pretty well we got a couple different species of trevs, massive pike and small queenies just pick a slack tide on dusk or dawn. it is pretty raped up there though am not going to lie.

what areas did you do this in? river? rocks?

adam

what areas did you do this in? river? rocks?

We fished the rocks near the campground, the rocks near the mouth and the boat ramp forgot to mention we got some mad bream next to the mariner some were easy 35 (all on surface). We didnt catch anything huge but still solid 40cm trevs and big pike good fun on the light stuff.

hey dhess what do you guys get your reds on? we fished bottom for a bit and all we got were tealeafs . The place 10kms out is a wreck and if crap like 90% of the time but when you get it good you catch heaps.

We get most of our reds fishing large pieces of mullet or any large cut dead bait. Anywhere from half to a whole mullet fillet on two snelled hooks fished on or near the bottom using a standard running sinker rig.

I am so itching to get back up that way again. But boy is it a long way home from fitroy if it blows up 20+knots and you have to head home straight into it.

Archived