River Barra?

obone

Hey folks. It's been a while since I've been on here! So I don't know if someone has already posted this etc

I was putting in the boat in at the Colmslie ramp about a month ago (before all the rain) and saw this big (1M+) carcase that had been pretty recently washed up. We thought it was a big jew at first, buut after a while we decided it looked a lot more like a big barra. It had very pronounced hard dorsal spikes. So I thought I'd take a shot and post it on here :lol:

8d53ab8e.jpg

Joel ;)

Ahh what a rookie I posted it in a news category :pinch: if someone can move it that'd be great

Maybe mishandled prior to release? Have dissapointingly seen a lot of big dead female barra around Cairns over the years- apparently largely due to mishandling by not using the 'comfort lift' ie: by picking up by the head without supporting the body weight, it kills them apparently.

Barramundi in Aboriginal language means "Big scaled river fish".

Just thought I would add that since you can see their huge scales.

cheers

I am pretty sure the Saratoga was what the Aboriginals called a Barramundi. Originally Barra where Saratoga and Barra where the Great Palmer Perch. I think the name was changed because Barra was a better name than Great Palmer Perch. This is what I was told as a boy when I was a young fella in north Qld.

Archived