Where to get garden worms out Ippy way?

mongrel jack

Hi All,

Taking my boy and ten of his mates fishing for his 10th birthday next weekend (should be an experience!)and want to get some garden worms. Took to the compost heap in the yard this arvo and came up with very few - maybe they have gone deeper with the rain? Anyway is there anywhere around Ipswich that I can buy some? I used to get them at the nursery out Fernvale way but it's now long gone. Your help will be appreciated :)

Cheers.

All ready to go - just need worms.....

post-4724-144598543191_thumb.jpg

having worked fishing clinics with school groups I wish you well! looks like you have the rods and reels sorted, good start :)

here's some tips for ya:

-pick somewhere with very few snags

-make sure the kids fish with some distance between them

-choose a very simple rig ie running sinker to hook...or....

-have lots (and lots) of rigs pre-tied to replace the tangles and lost gear

-have at least one spare outfit that you can give to the kid that gets their's tangled, then fix his while he fishes on

-don't walk behind them (or let the other kids do so) when they are casting

hope that some of these tips come in handy, you have the advantage that at least the kids will want to be there (not forced to be there by their parents as in some of the clinics I have done)

Look forward to hearing how it goes, good luck!

rod

yeah good memory you got there ray .:) we do have a member that works at the fernvale hardware, opposite the new wolworths in the purple building they do have a small fishing section. if not charltons will def have em.

there is a special fig tree out at fernvale and under it is chockers with worms just got to spend a bit of time on the old pitch fork thats all . not always full length worms alot of halfers or broken ones as its a pritty popular worming spot for the local kids . its really easy to find this tree you have probably driven past it a gazillion times. you take the twinnies bridge exit then straight away take that little dirt track on the left and your lookin at worm heaven :woohoo:

mick

I just relised what the photo is

of.I thought it was a pic of ya yaks in side a a pool fence but there all rods leaning up against ya yaks :lol:. how many of his mates are you taking you say 10 :blink: wow thats a few boxes of worms you going to need and they all look the same type of combos aswell.did you go buy all these esspecially or do you all ready own all these? either way as a dad you rock nice work B)

Thanks for the tips guys - looks like a trip to Fernvale..... unless someone has another idea or dassa comes up trumps ;) .

Yeah mick - I went and bought 11 x $20 Jarvis Walker red bone combos with line from k-mart that all the kids can keep at the end - tested them all and they all work :woohoo: and don't seem too bad for the money. Seems a big expense but when you look at the options like taking 11 kids bowling with a junk food meal each there's not much difference in cost + this is what the boy wanted so who am I to say no?

Thanks for the tips Rod - I've asked that parents come along to help supervise and most have obliged. I have also squashed the barbs on the hooks for easy removal :blush:

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys and Girls

Yep, you can get worms (coddies), small river prawns and a pretty good range of salt water baits at Fernvale Produce (The purple produce and hardware on the right as you get to Fernvale).

We stock a pretty good range of Wilsons tackle as well as a few combos.

Call in a check us out one day.

Cheers

Peter

Archived