WS Tarpon 160 (lots of pics)

bigtez

Thought I would post a few pics of my yak. Have made a few mods in the 12mths I have owned it.

When I first got the yak I had a few issues with lines tangling in the split rings that held the steering cables and rudder pivot post in place. So they have been replaced with bolts on the cables and a split pin on the post.

P1000739copy.jpg

I also wanted to improve the turning ability so made up a new, larger rudder from 3mm flat aluminium.

P1000740copy.jpg

Then there is the usual sounder install and a couple of bungy loops to hold the GPS and landing net. I also installed an anchor trolley. Originally I had separate front and rear trolleys using the track mounts but found occasionally I wanted to swing the boat 180deg while fishing the flats so replaced the separate ones with a single full length trolley.

P1000750copy.jpg

P1000751copy.jpg

I also found the buckles for adjusting the thigh support on the seat would dig into my legs when dangling them overboard, so I made the support work with a single buckle located under the seat. The backrest buckles have also been shortened to sit below the gunnel line as well. I am a bit disappointed with how the seat has faded, even though it has been stored under cover, in an open front shed, but that is fairly typical of some American materials.

P1000748copy.jpg

P1000747copy.jpg

P1000746copy.jpg

Next up was the live well, which is fairly simple. It’s a 25L Ice Kool ice box with a bilge pump to fill it and an overflow so I don’t have to bail it when I want to refresh the water. The pump is on a swing-away mount to avoid extra drag when moving between spots. Power to the pump is supplied by the sounder battery, via a connection behind the seat and a switch in the centre hatch.

P1000752copy.jpg

P1000754copy.jpg

P1000753copy.jpg

P1000755copy.jpg

P1000745copy.jpg

For days when I don’t need the livewell and want to bring home a feed, I made up an insulated bag with a movable divider. The base of the bag is mesh to allow any water to flow outh the scupper holes as per normal. If I was going to do more offshore work I would probably make up an insert to keep the fish juices in the bag and not flowing out the scuppers, burleying up the sharks.

P1000741copy.jpg

P1000742copy.jpg

P1000743copy.jpg

Still have one or 2 more mods to do, like address the side net/pockets, and maybe place a divider in front of the centre hatch to stop things sliding forward.

i've been thinking of getting a piece of tupperware for a while now, just have to find the $ and convince a certain someone that it would be a good investment, how does the tarpon go?

just doing some research at the moment, maybe looking at getting one next tax return... maybe

The Tarpons are great. They are on the expensive side but have a very comfortable seat, very good finish and a 10year warranty. The 160 is a fast yak that is easy to paddle. I can cruise at 6km/h fairly easily and I am an unfit 125kg. At first it feels a little tippy but has good secondary stability. I have also had a 120 that all though not as fast was just as easy to paddle.

Sorted out the side pockets this afternoon. I found the rubber net was only useful for holding small items but I wanted to put tackle trays and an anchor in them so the rubber had to go. I had strap between the 3 screws for a while but think this final arrangement will be best. Bungy cords at the front to hold bulkier items and tools, and strap down the side to stick zip lines to to hold scissors pliers etc.

P1000758copy.jpg

thanks tez

i'll probably be looking at something in a more budget range when i get one, although i'll upgrade it sooner or later anyway, so should just get a good one to start with. i'll have to hitch a ride in a few different styles first to see what i prefer before i go spending $$$ on one though

Archived