Dam fishing

kmetius

Hi we have never been dam fishing before but want to give it ago so i have quiet a few questions. the first question would be do i need a permit to fish from the banks? if so where do i get them? also we only know of wivenhoe and summerset dams could someone tell us of some others ? maybe also the best access spots close to good parts of the dams to fish? being freshwater what sort of bait would we use? we don't use lures. sorry for all the questions but neither of us have ever fished freshwater or dams before. basically any info you have and would like to share would be great.

Thanks

All dams vary as far as permits go.

Somerset and Wivanhoe do require permits that can be purchased at the local servos and rangers office. Or online.

Fish in these dams include, Bass, Yellowbelly, Saratoga, Cod, Gar, Catfish, Catfish, Catfish, Tilapia, Lungfish, Spangled Perch, Banded Grunter, Tandanus. Am I missing anything?

Other local dams in the area include:

Hinze Dam

North Pine Dam

Ewen Maddock Dam

Baroon Pocket Dam

These are essentially the easier ones to access locally.

Hope this helps a little. For further advice check the \"The Lakes\" reports.

Angus

Hinze dam needs a permit, available from Gold Coast city council offices, Kiosk at dam or rangers at dam.

Best bet is getting from council first, as kiosk opens late, Rangers on duty from 7am, but unless you catch them at the rangers station, you may never find them! $7 for a day (or might be a week).

North Pine, baroon and Ewen Maddock no permits required for bank fishing

No worries.

If your going to north pine have a good read thorugh the report in \"The Lakes\" section of the fishing reports.

There are a lot of North Pine reports there and it may give you some hints on lure and bait types as well as locations.

Good luck and look forward to the report :)

Angus

Archived