Afternoon threadfins

nadders

I had a chance to get out for a quick one this afternoon/evening so packed the gear in and headed to colmslie at 3 odd on my pat malone

forecast was for easterlies which was fine, wasn't really easterly at all though blowing straight down the riv

ran into pat and ryan at the ramp as i was launching, and they were putting around out of fuel :laugh: trap for young players haha

anyway had a quick chat and headed off to start my session, wind wasn't too bad but bad enough to be annoying. straight away i was into some good shows on the sounder, i tried to snap some shots but got a little carried away dropping lures into them so only managed a few average snaps of less exciting shows on the fringe;

pb290761.jpg

pb290760.jpg

there were a few defined patches thick with fish harassing small clumps of bait, and it was pretty hard hitting the mark with wind against tide but i managed to pick one up on the third attempt, a nice clean silvery fish:

pb290755.jpg

pb290756.jpg

This fish was very lively biting hard on my thumb during release and kicking off without needing a drop weight

I should note that I've been working on forumlating a process for painting patterns on the threadybusters (normally the pigments are intrinsically mixed- the material is not easy at all to paint over the top of) and this was a quick pattern i knocked up yesterday. This was hand painted with a dirty old brush, and the process can and will be transferred to an airbrush eventually

pb280153.jpg

pb280148.jpg

anyway, getting sick of the wind I hit up a few more spots but couldnt really get out of it. seemed like it was blowing NE when i was on the western bank and NW when i was on the eastern bank :whistle: lots of fun lol

spent a bit of time chilling and floating around, and as the sun set came across some more good shows. the wind was blowing a bit harder now and the current running quicker making it even harder to line up a proper drift but i hit the spot after a few goes and hooked another good fish. This is the point where the foot pedal plays up (i've got a dodgied up spring in the on/off button that i repaired myself about 6mo ago, obviously needs another repair lol) so this was a very interesting fight, with the wind trying to blow me into structure, the fish trying to wrap around my electric and being unable to move the boat 1/2 the time

this fish was a little battle scarred but still gave a good fight, he ran deep and required a release weight to get him down again.

pb290757.jpg

pb290759.jpg

i was hoping to find a few jew as I didnt want to intentionally pick on the threadies at this time of year, but i couldn't imagine the still feeding fish on the sounder were anything but threadfin. i found a few shows more likely to be silver fish but was having an increasingly difficult time trying to drop on their head with wind vs tide vs faulty electric- so packed it in around 7 30

the waves under the gateway were pretty mad, prob the roughest patch of water i've hit all year inside the river

thanks for reading

Dan

good report nadders. i will put in my defence. i wasn't OUT of fuel i was just a bit short of fuel. pushing the boat from nudgee beach to colmslie, from the pipeline to the shute 3 times to get bait aswell with ryan myself and gear with 7 litres of fuel was a bit premature. but managed 5 litres from the marina. good work on the threadys.

pat

not an easy task differentiating them at times Brian but one thing i look for the # of fish, i often see 1-2-3 threadies in a small pack maybe 0.5-1m off the bottom whereas i'll often see jew in bigger schools. but saying that sometimes the only way is to drop a lure in and see what comes up lol

heres the release weight shot

p6300302.jpg

ive found the easiest way to do it solo is place the fish in the water and hold on to its jaw with one hand while inserting the weight top lip from the outside in, then hold the release weight with whatever hand was holding the jaw before while you get the handline free with the other. its important to have absolutely no tension on the handline while it drops as the momentum can pull the weight out prematurely

once the handlines ready and 'free spooling' drop the weight+fish and i've found most will kick off halfway down. if not a few hard yanks will free the fish

cheers

Dan

i don't recommend using the lower jaw, as the joint and muscles are very susceptible to injury (especially so in big fish) and there are parts of the process during which the jaw might suffer some forces; much better to go through the safe option of the upper jaw as instructed by recfish WA imo

yeah for the most common intended use of a release weight ie undersize reefies and snapper etc its very unlikely you'd do any damage to the lower jaw joint, but threadies being big and sort of awkward its best to stay away from it, just cause of the logistics.

from experience hooking them (threadies specifically) up with the release and moving around the boat/holding in the water and all that goes with it i can see damage being done if it were in the bottom, or at least the risk of damage being done

cheers

Dan

Archived