The Pier Hervey Bay

goldnugget

Hi all, will try and get around to put a pic up, its on the phone just got to try and bluetooth to laptop before figuring out how to put it up.

So anyway, missed the top of the tide and decided to make the walk towards the end of the Urangan pier anyway. Managed to jig a couple of herring which went straight on. Nothing much was biting, there were others at the end for nothing to show. After the first couple of brief showers passed over us, I was pretty much over it (combined with wind...not good).

We (myself and my son), decided to head back to the first gutter where we were hoping it would be less windy (and not so strong outgoing tide).

Conditions were a bit better at the first gutter as far as comfort level goes, and we managed to finally get a decent supply of herring, after putting fresh bait on the rods I noticed one got bumped a couple of times then just sat there (current only on the line, no tap tap from the herring), so I picked up the rod to investigate, noticed a bit of extra weight on it...thinking okay, maybe branch or wood (still dirty from Mary flooding) and then some familiar movement as I got it closer to the pier..at the end of it all (for the sake of a few hours I guess) I walk away with a nice 60 cm Flattie. I knew they were there (being sandy) but didnt expect to catch one as I was going for the ussual blacktips, trevally etc...but not a total waste of a day. The current was still pretty strong when I left and although I had my plastics with me I didnt bother trying for more, I was over it by that stage and looked forward to coming home for a coffee and toasted sanga's ;) .

Hopefully I'll sort out the pic and get to put it up later today.

post-1959-144598569179_thumb.jpg

Yeah top flatty there mate! Do you get them often as a bycatch? They seem to be partial to a live herring. From memory Novrain got a similar model at the last mbc on the same bait.

LOL...yeah I guess this time it was a bycatch..there seems to be plenty of them up this way, but I usually target them at Gatakers (Point Vernon) on plastics, and there would be plenty of other places in and around the bay. I was hoping to hook a trevally from the pier as I havent managed to do that yet..hopefully when the water is clearer things may change. Other ussual catches from the pier for me (that havent busted me off)have been some of the biggest toadies I have ever seen (on squid), and a few rays so this flattie made it a nice change.

Just quietly, I'm trying to get more of a feel for the pier as we have a comp coming up in the bay in the next 6 to 8 weeks I think.

Archived