First trip to NPD Landbased : Redclaw

Woodlaz

Gday guys,

Well, I decided to head to NPD today and try my luck with some landbased redclaw. I drove into forgans (upon Rayke1938's advice) and met a bloke (Mark). We chatted for a bit and through this discussion I realised I knew of the guy he was talking about - JamesW from AFO(the guy with the decent queenie caught from coochin creek as his avatar & a huge smile to boot). Not much later JamesW arrived. We all had a chat and got on well. As it was my first time at NPD these guys had no dramas with me tagging along to show me the ropes ;). Awesome blokes.

After showing me whats what, James and Mark had other plans so I went at it alone for a couple of hours.It wasn't too long after that meeting and I had caught my first landbased redclaw. Without too much hassle I managed to get a few in the bucket which I was very happy with (nothing huge, but still awesome for me as it was my first time for NPD).

I'd just like to thank Rayke1938, JamesW and Mark. I had an awesome day with a feed of redclaw at the end. What more could a southsider want? And a big thanks to AFO for making this all happen. Thanks fellas.

Cheers

Woodlaz

I have tried adding an image of the redclaw I caught (again, nuthin special but awesome for me). Hope it works!

post-2162-144598572274_thumb.jpg

well done mate. There's plenty of them in npd. In the next few weeks, will start a post on redclaw recipes. im going to try pickled redclaw this week.... yep thats right PICKLED redclaw. Suppose to be quite nice i hear.

how are you cooking them woodlaz?

cheers

ty

well done mate. There's plenty of them in npd. In the next few weeks, will start a post on redclaw recipes. im going to try pickled redclaw this week.... yep thats right PICKLED redclaw. Suppose to be quite nice i hear.

cheers

ty

Pickled Redclaw = sensational!!!! Tried it myself a couple of weeks ago with a haul from NPD, boiled em up with plenty of salt first, then shelled 'em (i cut some of the bigger tails in half but please yourself) and put em in straight vinegar with whole peppercorns. YUM YUM. Great with cold beer and watercrackers (or just cold beer!)

For best results leave em to pickle for a week ( if you can hold yourself back that long!)

Used to do this with blue swimmers and razorfish hearts (the razorfish goes straight in the vinegar without cooking though...)all the time back home and its a great way to preserve them, crab meat lasts weeks pickled, not sure about the redclaw as it was devoured after a week!!!

Give it a go i guarantee you'll love it!!!!

cheers

ty

G'day Ty,

Mate, as I only had few I decided to make my own creamy garlic sauce with them. As it was dinner for 1 (mrs doesnt eat crustaceans) I used about 150ml of cream, 1 tbs garlic, 1tbs butter 1/2diced onion, salt and pepper. Added the 1/2 cut redclaw tails at the end. My my it was tasty - I really wanted more. I'll definately be hunting them and and that pickled idea sounds awesome.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

EDIT: Haha - looks like I will be trying a few different recipes this week as Ray is taking me out tomorrow w00000000000t.

Cheers

Woodlaz

Archived