Smokers

robin

Can anyone tell me of a good smoker.

I have seen the portable ones in bcf and also i have seen the box ones that is about 10cm x 10 cm that goes in the bbq but dont know what is more recomended.

I really want it just to do fish.

Which ones would you recomend

Weber works well and if you want to do hams the old APM paper collection drums fit neatly on top all you have to do is cut out the bottom.

Another cheap way is to purchase a couple of baking trays and a cake cooler tray.

Sit the fish on the tray in one tray sprinkle some sawdust in the bottom and use the other tray for the lid and cook over either a metho stove or a gas cooker.

We used to use this method when we used to tour the UK in a camper.

Smoked trout and salmon delish!

Only thing was if it was raining and the van was closed up everything had a smoked fish smell.

Cheers

Ray

If your even slightly handy I would make your own. Its not hard at all. Heaps of designs free online. I have a home made one that works really well for hot or cold smoking just finished making a biltong box too that works really well!

i have a biltong box too, badly made and raggedly, but it works and the 3kg biltong lasts all of 3 -4 days if i am lucky

If your even slightly handy I would make your own. Its not hard at all. Heaps of designs free online. I have a home made one that works really well for hot or cold smoking just finished making a biltong box too that works really well!

i have a biltong box too, badly made and raggedly, but it works and the 3kg biltong lasts all of 3 -4 days if i am lucky

can u recomend a site for good plans? or post a photo or two?

I'm keen on learning how to smoke fish in the weber. I have used water soaked woodchips for big roasts and stuff for a different flavour, but that is roasting with 45 coal rocks each side. I think that would be excessive for fish etc, so how many of those coal things do you suggest for smoking fish? eg 10 each side..20 each side? I'd love to give it a go when I hook in to a few tailor. And would it do any justice to things like redclaw etc...stuff with little taste? Cheers.

Jason

Archived