depthsounder chartplotter turning off

chandler130

Hey guys, was chasing some help with an electronic fault on my boat. Problem is when i start my engine my depth sounder and chartplotter turn them selfs off. I have a furuno 620 sounder and a navman 5600 tracker plotter. My engine is a suzuki 90 4 stroke.

Sometimes it turns both off, sometime only one and sometimes none. But it is really annoying have to start them back up each time you move spots. My only thought is that my battery might be starting to fail and it is taking all the battery has to crank the engine.

althought the wires for the sounder and plotter are quite small so Im guessing they only need very little power to start. Was wondering if anyone know wat causes this and has anyone else had the problem???

Thanks

Your battery may be fine and you just have dirty terminals creating a bad contact.

Clean all the battery terminals and wires,clean the terminals on the master battery switch if you have one installed and clean any terminals on the units wiring first and that may save you the cost of a new battery.

If you have wing nuts on your battery terminals throw them away and use plain stainless nuts as wing nuts can cause real bad contact issues at any time.

i 4th this too

also if ya running twin batt set up. and ya house batt is a deepcycle with out any cranking cpababilitys and you run both batts together to crank you can bugger the deep cycle and vise versa if ya motor is off for a long period of time while camping out all night etc and ya got every thing blaring all lights on radio the constant current draw can bugger up the crank batt.

use the crank batt to start motor you can swap issolater switch to both too charge both batts up at the same time i havnt had a prob yet. have your house batt going straight to the house electronics through a fuse board but wired up to the isolator switch for charging from the motor and as a back up emergency for starting the motor.

mick

Archived