Fraser Island

natang

Hey boys I am heading to Fraser for the first week of December and am fairly new to surf fishing. I am just for some advice on the type of rigs I should be using for surf.

I understand that time of year is more bream, whiting, dart and the odd Jew. I have two surf rods both Alvey rods one is a 13" surf master med-hvy action with 650 Alvey loaded with 20lb and the other is a 10"light to med with a 500B alvey on her with 12lb line. Is it worth grabbing a cheaper surf rod to through lures around or just stick with the pippis, worms, pillies?

Mate a rigI use that will work really well on fraser is a paternoster. So main line to a three way swivle then trace to gangs or single hook depending on what your chasing then insted of a sinker I Use larger crome slugs. They cast really well by design and are a really good sinker in the surf. That way if you get baited you have the second chance of picking someting up on the slug as you retrieve it. Ive picked up a lot of tailor that ay off te beach. Hope that helps

Ps anothergreat surf sinker for drifting accross gutters is a bal sinker with a split pin through it, you can use it with or without a swivle and it will travel really easily but roll slower that a ball sinker on its own keeping you where you want to be for longer especialy in cross current

Archived