Turn over at the dams

Dinodadog

Could not find where this subject was discussed so started again. Hope this helps and not confuses.

I have witnessed several lakes doing their annual turnover. As per literature this is usually late summer into early winter.

Sometimes it can even be a little later. During this event the fish slow down. The water becomes so dirty(and is smelly)that you cant see your hand 10cm under the water(I have also seen it that clear you can watch the lungfish at play on the bottom in 5 mts of water)

I am attempting to attach some literature and piccies to see if that helps to explain. In Dam Hot, 1 Neil Shultz explains what happens with thermoclimb.

Keep on Fishin

Dino

Hi Dennis, for some reason this site or firefox wont let you right click and paste text.

If you have this problem..like me, copy the text you want and paste it via the edit tag, up top left.

You can use the same button to copy paste etc.

I'd never heard of Dam turnover until a few days ago on this site so I looked it up...the text below comes from the GCW site and relates to hinze but I magine it's the same for all?

Was going to go down to Hinze this week to try a few surface lures but might have to wait by the look of things?, will probably try NP instead, you going out this week?

Cheers

Sean

What is dam ‘turn-over’?

􀂀 Every winter, the dam experiences turn-over. That is, the upper, warmer layers of water become cooler. Cooling, combined with windy weather, mixes the dam levels. This causes manganese-laden sediments, usually found at the bottom, to rise to the top.

􀂀 It takes about three weeks for the sediments to settle again and for the dam to retain its previous separated layers.

􀂀 Although it costs more to treat our water at this time, the water quality delivered to consumers does not change.

􀂀 During turn-overs there may be high levels of manganese, which can cause dirty water.

􀂀 But because these turn-overs occur during winter when flows are lower we can take longer to treat the manganese to acceptable levels.

Archived