Suggestions Needed for Thready Prizes

Orca

I confess i have never chased or accidently caught a Threadfin Salmon so i am not sure what would be an apprpriate outfit to be awared as 1st Prize. The other catgories are easy.

1-3kg?

3-6kg?

6-10kg?

Other?

Your urgent comments would be appreciated thanks so we can finalise the prizes.

3 - 6 for normal fishermen that like some certainty in landing a decent fish. Otherwise the 1-3 for the noodlers.

6-10 too heavy (if that's possible :P )

mate having seen the size of some of the Threadies caught lately i was thinking more along the lines of a 15-24kg Rhino with 50lb Braid! lol

But i'll go with 3-6kg maybe if there are not a lot of other differering opinions.

No idea how they compare to your product but may be some help.

Lightest outfit I use if targeting Thready's BSR 803, Branzino 3000, 10lb Fireline. Have been using Hyper Exist 2500 with 10 lb Fins on this rod lately as well, 4 TO 7kg drag.

Mostly use Chillidog, 3500 Game, 20LB Fins 7 to 10kg drag.

Sometimes will use PBR 963S, 4500 S-extreme 50lb Fins in deep water.

no disrespect intended, but I have a 6-10kg camostick that is about as stiff as my other 3-5kg rods, so I would doubt 3-6kg would be the best choice for metre plus fish

Couple of points worth noting: the stiffness of a rod has ZERO to do with how strong it is or what line class it is designed to handle.

The Camo Stik blank has changed a lot over the past 5 years so it depends on what version you have as to how stiff it is.

The 3-6kg rod I was thinking of is a takeda Firebade and not a Camo Stik. Camo Stiks have never been made in a 3-6kg.

It really depends if anglers want to skull drag fish in or are happy to play the bigger fish for a while.

in my opinion, i would lean toward the 6-10.. lots of people chase threadfin in deeper water, and going too light encourages both longer fight times than is good for the fish if intended for release, as well as repeated dives back down and pressure issues in the bladder which may or may not be dealt with correctly

a m+ threadfin sitting deep in the current on a light rod can get pretty tedious. ive used any number of combos from 2-4kg sticks with 6lb braid up to a 15kg stick with 30lb fins and i find the most common i reach for are in the 5-10kg range. gives a good balance between power and sport, you will still get the fast runs, feel the power of the fish better than through a lighter setup and most importantly won't be tied up for excessive lengths of time

cheers

Dan

Archived