moogerah dam 01/07/07

jeff f

went out to moogerah for a loook and a fish today. there were only 2 boats on the water and they didnt seem to be doing much except for alot of casting practice.

water level is still LOW, it would have to rise 20 feet just to get into the spillway chanel then another 10 to go over the spillway

went for a wander along the bank toward all the high and dry timber casting at litle rock piles and anywhere that looked a little deeper

got 2 bassaround the 30cm mark off a snagy stump, on a yo-zuri duel that angus gave me at hinze(they work 'gus) both released.

when i got around to the rocky area infront of the old creekbed i changed to sps(no wanting to lose my new favourite lure:P)

got a few half hearted bumps,no hookups then got a shock when a silver that had to be over 5kg followed it right back to my feet turned and leisurely cruised back out so i tossed the lure back to the same slightly darker patch of water and it followed it back again,wouldnt touch it just followed it about 30cms away.

kept working the area for a half an hour but didn't see it again.

was getting a bit cool in the breeze by then so i worked my way back to the totally high and dry ramps.got 1 more very solid hookup on the way back at the same stump that produced the other 2 but this guy was a better class of fish,it claimed my little watermellon gulp, popped the 2kg line at the leader knot.

all up an enjoyable peacefull arvo

Post edited by: jeff f, at: 2007/07/01 17:34

sweet getting a few fish on an exploratory trip is a bonus!!! I was there myself on Friday with GF for lunch. It was bloody freezing (and a stupid idea to boot!!!). The BOM site said the wind chill was down to 8 deg at midday! There wasn't a single boat on the water nor anyone fishing on teh bank. I thought maybe it would be too shallow to be worth a flick but you proved me wrong mate! Well done.

Archived