Halogen vs HIDs?

Yoodles82

Not fishing related...unless you plan on lighting up a dam etc ;-)

Am getting some IPF 900XS spotties...but still cant decide on Halogens or HIDs. Each time i think i've made up my mind, someone talks me into the other option!

Please, give me your thoughts...pros, cons, and experience. :unsure:

Cheers

Nat

Got a mate with the halogen 900xs and he loves them. HID is a lot of coin so I guess you have to weigh up whether you really need the extra output versus the price. Have you got any info relating to the difference in output between the two? IPF isn't exactly the cheapest brand on the market so you may be able to get a higher output hid from another manufacturer for not a lot more than the halogen ipf. There was a light test in 4wd monthly a little while ago and it was quite thorough so it might be worth tracking down, I've got it here somewhere but finding it could take a while.

Got a mate with the halogen 900xs and he loves them. HID is a lot of coin so I guess you have to weigh up whether you really need the extra output versus the price. Have you got any info relating to the difference in output between the two? IPF isn't exactly the cheapest brand on the market so you may be able to get a higher output hid from another manufacturer for not a lot more than the halogen ipf. There was a light test in 4wd monthly a little while ago and it was quite thorough so it might be worth tracking down, I've got it here somewhere but finding it could take a while.

Have a read of that article as the guys at 4wd Monthly do some good unbiased testing of products (unless you are in the market for a Land Rover).

Halogen vs HID - I found that halogen has a longer throw of the beam as its a more 'raw' light and the pencil beams are good and narrow. HID is a more brilliant bright white, but lights up the immediate surrounding area and does not carry as much length. I would leave the HID lights to the 'doof doof' cars around town.

Price - big bucks for a set of lights. I put Narva 175's on my truck, and found them quite adequate in a pencil and broad set up. But I guess its what you want v's how often you would use them v's affordability.

Archived