Catching jew in the Logan River .Nuggets tips

rayke1938

I thought that there was a hints and tips section but I cant find it so if this is in wrong place maybe one of the mods will move it for me.

I went along to Nuggets seminar at Leisure marine last night and the following is a precis of his session.

Marks rocks.

This spot is best around one hour each side of the tide.

Spot 1.

this one best last hour of run out. Anchor level with green bouy and cast lightly weighted livey upstream and leave tide wash downstream there is a logjam just downstream and jew site here.

If you sus the area out just before low water you will see the current ripple created by the jam. The ripple is actually downstream of the jam so allow for this when anchoring.

Spot 2.

Marks rocks themselves. One hour either side of tide . You can see the rocks at low water and they extend out a fair way under the water. The secret is to find the edge of the rocks where the fish sit. If you are getting snagged you are too close so you need to move out a bit but if you go too far no fish. So the ideal spot is a long cast will get snagged and a short one will float the bait in the strike zone next to the rocks.

Spot 3

Prawn farm drains.

The prawn farm drain their ponds on the first of the run out tide and if you are lucky enough to be there when they start to drain the first half hour of the drain being open will attract the jew to this area. After they have been open for half an hour the fish move on.

Pitt Rocks.

This area is marked by the Gazebo and fishes best on a run in tide.

Anchor up 2 boat lengths out from a leaning dead gum tree with orchids growing in it.

Cast downstream with a lightly weighted livey and leave the tide wash it upstream, retrieve and cast out again. You will be anchored in about 30 ft of water and just in front to the Gazebo the rocks extend out into the river where the water is only 10 ft deep. The fish sit just along this ledge.

The junction.

This is a hot spot 2 days after the start of westerly winds.Just downstream of the Junction of the logan and albert rivers on the southern side of the river are a couple of houses. In front of the houses is the area where the fish congregate but only 2 days after the westerly.

I was going to try this spot on Friday as westerlys are forecast to Commence tonight but I have been informed that we are going to esk for the weekend. So maybe someone else can check it out.

Nugget prefers live mullet around 6 inches long and fishes with 30lb mono. 8 0 hooks attaches the fish through the bottom jaw and just uses a pea sinker straight above the hook.

When he uses banana prawns he also threads a few up the line . I would assume they are dead with the livey on the hook.

When using soft plastics he prefers worm style ones in dark colours and around 8 inches long.

Thats about all I can remember . Happy jewing.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2007/07/04 08:31

From southside private ramp at end of Ferry Rd costs $5 ramp is reasonably protected and has nearby jetty, can be muddy if owner hasnt hosed down recently. Ramp is central to Junction and about 1 k to Pitt rocks and 2k to Marks.ubd 265 L 10

Free public ramp at end of Skinners rd Carbrook about 2 k upstream from Junction.Also can be muddy.ubd 264 P 5

Another ramp at end of Dryer Rd at eagleby that I have never used.ubd 265 B 10

Another at end of Alberton at end of Alberton rd.ubd 265 L 10

If doing overnight trip I recommend paying the $5 for the securityotherwise whichever is the handiest.

Ray

I was looking at hitting this up on saturday with a mate of mine. Will be a great chance to try out the 8-9kg rod because the 30lb line hasnt been tested yet iv only picked up squire that i pull in whilst they are up on the plain. My only problem is its going to be low tide tomorrow night, friday night and saturday morning for me to get some livies.

Anyone know of some good spots to get some poddies on a low tide at night or saturday morning?

Usually fairly easy to get liveys in the logan. I usually just look for a bit of an eddy and pick them up. Just off the end of the ramps is normally productive. The guy at the private ramp gets agro if you cast net off his jetty for some strange reason doesnt like mud all over it.

Ray

think im going to have to do a bit more research to find these spots or go out with people that have fished the area because they arent obvious on the map. But from reading many internet posts, magazines over the last couple days fishing for this fish is very time consuming and requires specific BIG tackle and bait. its not like you can throw a prawn in wait.

What map are you looking at/

In brownies beacon to beacon Marks rocks are shown as \" rocks \" just upstream of redbill island with the green floating drim shown. The prawn farm is on the same side as the rocks and just upstream a few hundred yards. Ps at still water can be a good spot for jacks casting to the jetty pylons but be prepared to be bricked nearly every time. I have never managed to pull one out of there just get cut off every time reckon you need 100 lb line and a broomstick to rip them out.

The gazebo is quite obvious situated somewhere near the mouth of Native dog creek. You cant miss it.

The spot for the westerlys is quite obvious when you get there. Reckon you should just have a go.

Good luck

Ray

Archived