any action outta the maroochy river mouth?

Plastic Fantastic

hey everyone,

just a general question...

has anyone had any luck fishing the maroochy river mouth? land based fishing or by boat? if so what species have been caught?

im particulary interested in the area around...goat island? or chamber island? the one with the yaucht club on it and is connected to the mainland via foot bridge? any good flatties off there?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

cheers

Yeah mate its really good of a night time.

I was up there a few weekends back and stay in a motel on cotton tree road directly across from the river mouth...

Daytime fishing is pretty poor as at the time I was there the water was way clear but come nite time fishing fires up....

As for locations land based only try just back from the mouth at the back of the caravan park theres a sand spit that heads out towards the north, deep channel on the left and a shallowish bank on the right. Fish the left side on the rising tide for sum awwsumm sized bream and some even bigger tailor but do ya self a favour and pack sum big gear as we got spooled ,cleaned up on estuary gear by what we think was jews as there was huge tail thumps....

Once the tide gets to high where it has pushed U almost back into the caravan car park look to ya left and U would see two Red channel markers on the shore move to the second one where there is a small brick wall at the back of a restaurant. Fish there for more bream and moses perch, Flathead, cod and probably many more species... Also we were using pillies for bait....

Hope this helps....

Yeah, I fished there around Christmas time and a few times in the eighties:S

The recent visit saw more than enough undersize whiting to drive me crazy but keep the kids entertained. I used a couple of the whiting on a set line and both got good hits but didn't take the hook. I'm leaning towards cod due to the proximity to the cod hole, however they could have been tailor or flathead.

Whilst there, a couple of plastic men were giving the length of the island a good working over but I didn't see them jag anything.

In the eighties it was a good spot (towards the downstream end) for some corker bream. Also legal whiting.

PS The Xmas session was on the far side.

Whatever you do - TAKE INSECT REPELLANT!!! even in winter.

Cheers and good luck

I was up there back in may and i have to agree that fishing during the day is very poor. I caught 2 undersize bream and a small whiting in 6 hours of fishing. But that could have been just an off day. maybe try early morning and late arvo.

Archived