New member in need of advice

dissy

Hi All,

Not only am I new to this forum, but fishing and kayaking in general.

The reason for my post is I’m in desperate need of some advise/help/tips in a few areas.

First of all my aim is to troll/flick hard bodies in and around the Caboolture and Pine rivers also the Burpengary creek targeting flathead.

Areas I need help on include lures (size/colour), Tides (best for working sand bars) and any local knowledge of these areas would be greatly appreciated!

I know some of you may be a bit protective of such information but I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks in advance!

Hey mate,

Couple of ideas with sandbar,

on the outgoing tide, I'd probably stick more towards the edges, particularly if the bar becomes exposed at low. Work from the sandbar into deeper water. The idea behind that is that as the tide drops, bait fish will come from up on the sandbar down into deeper water. Predators will lurk on the drop and nail anything that comes over.

During incoming and top of the tide I'd probably try and flick lures over the bar as flatties etc are probably lurking buried in the sand waiting for prey to pass.

As for lure sizes, anything from the 40mm lures through to 100mm will work comfortably for flathead. Sticking to the smaller lures in around 40-60mm will allow you to target bream as well.

As for colours, a general rule is in clear water, bright sunny day try more natural and light/clear coloured lures where as in dirty water/night time, try darker and more contrasting coloured lures, for example Ecogear make SX-60s with a deep red/brown lures with bright gold stripes.

Hi Dissy

While I have fished on and off for years I am new to yak fishing and soft plastic fishing. We have been hitting the pine with some success.

My son has largely used blades both tolling and throwing: while I have used sp for the same.

We have used basically the sizes mentioned by Terry above.

We are most probably going Saturday afternoon or Sunday. We are easy to spot as we both have hobie revolution 11. Some and say hi if you are around.I don't profess to be an expert buy I can pass on what I have learnt in the last two months. Some of it the hard way.

John

Archived