Curtis Island-Gladstone

pondo

Hey all,

Im being sent to the gas pipeline for work on curtis island off Gladstone. I have tried to do a bit of research on what fishing is available up there but am getting mixed results. Does anyone know for certain if fishing is allowed or not ? I know the dredging is causing a lot of controversy and im almost certain that I read there was a total fishing ban recently but unsure if its been lifted. Also is there any members that are

from the gladestone region that I could hassle for some local info. I work 6 days and have sundays off so I would love to go for a flick when ever possible.

Cheers everyone.

Matty

hey mate, fishing ban has been lifted, so many areas to fish up here, Ive been up here for 6 months already and havent even made it out of the boyne and calliope rivers yet, have not even scratched the surface! but for places in close proximity of gladstone, there is 1770 and turkey beach to the south all the way up to the narrows at the tip of curtis island, there is plenty of rivers to fish the main one being the ones i mentioned before but for more secluded area there is the Graham creek over at curtis and the collo near tannum, than there is all ur harbour fishin with the wharf pylons and numerous islands with rocky headlands, than there is outside fishing, there are the shipping markers and about 25km out and you hit the reefs, and of course there is awoonga that is not fishing too well at the moment but is picking up.

• 2 weeks later...

Lethalsaints yeah mate im landbased just landed in gladstone last night and am in camp as we speak in calloipe. Im now staying on the main land and working on a laingers site. Im keen to do some exploring asap. I heard some good stuff about the bridge and power station near by. Kicking my self I didnt pack any gear but nothing I cant get at the tackle store in gladstone. where abouts are you located mate ?

Grew up fishing them waters, the marina goes off at times mate

I've bagged out on coral trout in there, the narrows is excellent fishing but a boat is needed..

Calliope river fishes well, I've always done well at the old hwy bridge for barra n jacks.

Over on Curtis u used to be able to drive to grahams ck and a beach called turtle st not sure if u still can...

Any questions pm me champ..

the power station is good, not that i've caught any barra there yet, but everyone else has, always up around the 90cm mark and thumper grunter too, the water is so warm there, i was in my boat at the mouth of the hotwater and it was 34 degrees.

I've seen school mackeral caught at the hot water along side some massive queenies and gt.

Up the rd a bit is the anabranch, fish under the bridge with livies and you'll get jack, blue and threadfin salmon, fingermark, grunter, bream, cod and barra.

Also plenty of sandfly bites..

Near the main rd bridge near the power stn, if you fish the power stn side, there's an old boat ramp just past it heading towards the mouth, it fishes well for all species mentioned earlier and I've caught some nice Jew there as well..

If u fish the hot water at night remember there are mud geckos in the calliope river, I've seen em my self, becareful..

Hope this helps a bit more mate...

Archived