new life jacket rules

Eug

Sorry mate, but I disagree. Apart from providing some (mostly) waterproof storage, they are also great if you are trying to work lures from a high sided tinny. Would be interested to hear why you think they are useless? Cheers, Steve

Well that reinforces my opinion -

Casting decks, about as useful as a pocket in a singlet. ;)

Sorry mate, but I disagree. Apart from providing some (mostly) waterproof storage, they are also great if you are trying to work lures from a high sided tinny. Would be interested to hear why you think they are useless? Cheers, Steve

I just wander around my boat and cast from whatever part I happen to be standing. I find the whole concept of building a platform on the most unstable part of the boat so I can stand on it ludicrous. Apart from which, why wouldn't you just stand on the bow?

Apart from which you then get fined for being silly enough to stash your life jackets underneath it! :evil:

Apart from which you then get fined for being silly enough to stash your life jackets underneath it! :evil:

MY post does not say that at all. Quite legal to store jackets in there, just put a life jacket sticker on the lid if not carpeted or on the gunwhale or shelf indicating down with an arrow. And then don't have 3 tackle boxes, 2 anchors, and 1 dog all piled on top restricting access.

charltons have the stickers they have heaps i grabed another fist full yesterday.

hey and booty can you tell me .. does a boat require the stickers if life jackets can not be seen from the helm?specifically the helm. i ask this cause a few of my mates said they will just leave the jackets out on the bunks in the front of the cabin.the jackets are not visual from the helm yet when down the back near the bait board yes a life jackets can be seen under the helm in the cabin.can you clear the air on this cheers

No need for DIY see attached email.

Good Morning

Thank you for your email regarding lifejacket stowage requirements.

Signs or stickers should be available from chandleries or boating stores - retailers have been informed of the new requirements and they're endeavouring to stock them. You also have the option of making your own sign as long as it meets the criteria of being clearly visible and has a white background marked with red letters or vice versa. There is no minimum/maximum size.

Further information about recent boating safety changes can be found at this link http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/About-us/MSQ-headlines/Boating-safety-improvements.aspx.

Because this is a new requirement Maritime Safety Queensland does have a limited stock of the life jacket stickers to provide to people who need them - we'll forward some stickers to you and hopefully you should receive them this week.

Kind Regards

Katrina Kimlin

Maritime Safety Queensland

If they had knocked back my request I intended writing to the new minister asking why they provided free compulsory signage for capacity labels etc and yet not for the lifejackets.

CHeers

Ray

To whom it may concern,

Hi. I am wondering if it is possible to get email notification or an RSS feed of the MSQ headlines or other regulation changes (i.e. such as the new life jacket signage rules)? This would ensure that a lot more vessel operators are aware of such changes and benefit safety all around. Unfortunately not everyone checks the MSQ website on a daily basis and emails such as the "notice to mariners" is a perfect example of how MSQ can better reach their target audience using electronic media. I have noticed that the Twitter page for TMR (http://twitter.com/#!/tmrmedia) has not been updated since 01.11.2010 nor does the MSQ Facebook page provide details which would be a perfect medium to broadcast such changes (an example is the Queensland Police Service (QPS) that provides daily updates of traffic hazards, etc.).

An example of an email subscription form would allow users to decide which categories they would like to subscribe to. Ideally regulation changes and safety changes would be mandatory, whilst others such as general news, moving of buoys, etc. could possibly be optional subscriptions.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this.

Feel free to contact me via reply email if you'd like to discuss this further.

Sincerely yours

might be a bit off topic here but its to do with life jacket rulings,life jacket rating have gone away from the pdf 1,2and3 style rating are rated as 50n/100n/150n/275n. i have bought this subject up on previous threads to do with wave break trips heading out offshore informing that a 150n is needed offshore.

i know it was pointed out that in the QLD maritime site say a 100n is ok for off shore and is equivelant to a pdf 1 but its a bit of a concern when the manufacturer of life jackets doesnt back this statment and requires a 150n

post-5342-144598779447_thumb.jpg

Edited as I just reread Micks post and what he is saying.....

Yea, I guess there is a margin for safety in there though. What concerned me the most was the number of people being towed on tubes etc wearing a PFD1. I know it sounds like they are the 'safest' jacket to wear, but when you hit the water and the big collar at the back propels your head forward it could be a very very bad outcome.

Archived